Great Cheap FreeNAS Server prebuilt w/ warranty - Hurry

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonnn

Explorer
http://www.dell.com/us/business/p/p...ynote_irrank=0&~ck=baynoteSearch&isredir=true

search for poweredge t20

coupon for $199, free shipping:
VM2V8L3TTMZPLD

Intel C226 server chipset, 4gb ramm, supports ECC, integrated graphics, 4x UDIMM
and a nice Dell prebuilt case with PSU and fans
Comes with Pentium G3220 which supports ECC and performance is excellent with FreeNAS

Very power efficient, supoort 6 drives on board - case says 4x 3.5 but maybe you can jury rig 2 more in there. Or run 6x 2.5" drives for low power

cyberjock

Inactive Account
First: Thanks for providing this info.

Second: I'm not sure this runs FreeNAS/FreeBSD. You'd need more RAM, but that's not a show stopper. But look at the OSes...

Window Server 2012
RedHat 6.5 and above

Based on my experience here in this forum, if FreeBSD isn't actually mentioned, the chances of it booting without unrecoverable problems is very low.

Have you actually used this hardware with FreeNAS 9.x?

jonnn

Explorer
Nope. It does have 4 udimm slots, making a ram upgrade easy.

I am 99% confident it would work. It has all the standard intel components, C226 chipset, I217 ethernet and intel sata controller. Nothing funny dell there that's needed to run.

I think I just read that the board MIGHT have only 4 sata ports, which would suck.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I am 99% confident it would work. It has all the standard intel components, C226 chipset, I217 ethernet and intel sata controller. Nothing funny dell there that's needed to run.

That is a horrible horrible assumption to make. Most people that have the problems I mentioned in my previous post said the same thing... "There's no reason this shouldn't work". But.. it still doesn't. So, I'm sorry, but while you have a 99% confidence, I'd rank it at something like 10% based on experience in the forums. I've never had this problem(I build my servers), and I'm just reporting what I see when I read the posts. You see patterns of success and failures when you read 99% of the posts around here.

AMD has a very poor success rate compared to Intel builds too. No clue why. I just make the observation and report it. If people still want to use AMD I won't stop them. Many people have successes with AMD builds. But, when you compare 10 random Intel builds with 10 random AMD builds, Intel builds will almost always work while AMDs are a mixed bag.

Ames

Dabbler
I've seen both AMD and INTEL builds in ppl's signatures. I'm looking to rebuild my non-ECC Freenas 8 (MSI/AMD rig) on a different server with ECC and then migrate the disks. Still trying to decide between a Supermicro/G3220 combination or an Asus AMD AM3+ FX-61XX CPU combination.

dragon99

Cadet
It does in fact boot 9.2.1.2 without issue.

It also only has (4) SATA ports and (4) 3.5" drive bays. So its not everyone's idea of perfect, but it was hard to beat the price.

survive

Behold the Wumpus
Hi guys,

I think the big question really got down to whether FreeNAS would actually boot on one of these systems. We have seen other users come through with some of the "bigger" Dell systems that simply won't even boot the FreeNAS image so it's good news that dragon99 was able to confirm that it does.

That said, at $199 it seems like a nice alternative to an HP Microserver.

-Will

Prasanth

Contributor
Just bought this box for my first freenas system. I'm happy to see it boots. Is the fact that it boots good enough or do I have to worry about crashing later on. I had been looking to build my own system but this seemed to have all the components except for the 8gb ram(will buy another 4 gb to add on) for about 150-200 less than outside.

DJABE

Contributor
Your coupon is no longer available
We're sorry, the coupon code you have entered has previously been redeemed.

Dell recommends Windows. -- OFC since the damn Micro$oft domination is present in all areas! xD

Now before cyberjock jumps in to tell me how I'm wrong and that I do not have the right to discuss other topics but mine.... :D

@Prasanth: If it boots, you can see drives etc... I'd say it's working ok! But you never really know, for example I'm having an issue with VIA SATA controller (6421A), everything works fine until you try to do a Fsck (UFS) or some copy over the network... at some point it just HANGS the system! But with Intel stuff you shouldn't have a problem I guess.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
No, my problem was that you kept making a thread with some issue, then jumping into at least 1 other thread linking back to your thread. You ask a question in a new thread, don't go ressurecting other threads trying to go "hey guys.. look at my problem!"

jonnn

Explorer
I ordered this thing like a dummy and tried to cancel. Dell is POS and they ended up shipping it. I already have a C226 based mini itx server, psu and a case :-D

I think i will just refuse the package. Unless someone wants it? I am around the Houston area.

Mine should arrive Tuesday.

Prasanth

Contributor
Your coupon is no longer available
We're sorry, the coupon code you have entered has previously been redeemed.

Dell recommends Windows. -- OFC since the damn Micro$oft domination is present in all areas! xD

Now before cyberjock jumps in to tell me how I'm wrong and that I do not have the right to discuss other topics but mine.... :D

@Prasanth: If it boots, you can see drives etc... I'd say it's working ok! But you never really know, for example I'm having an issue with VIA SATA controller (6421A), everything works fine until you try to do a Fsck (UFS) or some copy over the network... at some point it just HANGS the system! But with Intel stuff you shouldn't have a problem I guess.

Thanks DJABE. I'll have to read through the manual/website but I'll probably want to run some diagnostics before I trust my data to the device.

Gozzgug

Cadet
I ordered this thing like a dummy and tried to cancel. Dell is POS and they ended up shipping it. I already have a C226 based mini itx server, psu and a case :-D

I think i will just refuse the package. Unless someone wants it? I am around the Houston area.

Mine should arrive Tuesday.

I'll buy this from you are willing to ship it? I'm in Madison WI.

Prasanth

Contributor
Ok I have the server and wanted to do some setup prior to putting extra ram or hard disks in. I have seen confusing info on being able to use IPMI to set this machine up. I would prefer to use it as a headless machine, and was wondering if there are some instructions (for a noob) on this? I was hoping that if I plugged in the power and the cat5 it would show up on my local network and I could do the management via a web interface. Am I completely wrong about this?

kinto

Cadet
Hi all,
I have a T20 and i tried to install last stable release of FreeNAS on it.
The installation succeeded but when I try to boot the system I have the error 19 (I've attached two screenshots).

What I've tried:

1. Setting SATA mode on: AHCI, SATA, Raid
2. Disabling the USB port (during the boot sometimes the USB check show some warnings)
3. To boot with this line: set debug.acpi.disabled ="hostres"

Nothing worked so far.

Some suggestions?

Thanks.

Attachments

• freenas1.jpg
    freenas1.jpg
    236.5 KB · Views: 236
  • freenas2.jpg
    freenas2.jpg
    204.4 KB · Views: 226
Status