Server Set up as OpenVPN Client is Kicked Off VPN Upon Starting VM

Striperoo

Cadet
Hello! I have a VPS set up as an OpenVPN Server to connect my home assets (Including my TrueNAS Core Server) with my laptop and phone when abroad because I cannot expose ports at home, which works fine.

Because I have CPU headroom, I'd like to run a few VMs, but whenever I start a VM, the TrueNAS Ovpn Client is kicked off of the network, requiring me to restart the OpenVPN Client. I'm sure I could figure out a hacky way to fix this via making a script to restart the service whenever a VM is started, but I would much rather not lose connection in the first place in the case that causes data loss or makes transfers unstable somehow.

Has anyone else experienced this issue? Any help you could provide would be appreciated.

Striperoo

Cadet
I'm learning more about networking. Is it possible to create a subnet within TrueNAS for the VMs, of which I could NAT forward to the OVPN network? Where would I even start with that? Is this a functionality that TrueNAS provides? I'm sure there are some fundamental misunderstandings here. Any help would be appreciated.