Server Keeps Rebooting When Idle

ColoradoNOOB

Cadet
Good morning, I have been racking my brain and I cannot seem to solve this issue.

Hardware: Intel i7-7700K; PSU 750W 80 Plus, MOBO ASUS TUF Z270 MARK 1, Corsair VENGENCE DDR4 (2 X 8 gb) 3000mhz, Corsair Liquid Cooling H100, (2) 4TB HDD, 120GB SSD (for TrueNAS)

So, when my PC is idle, not transferring data.. the system will restart every 1-2 hours.. ive been transferring data for the past 8 hours and the system has been up the whole time. When I am watching a show on Plex the system will periodically reboot. The only thing I want to use this server for is Plex Media. This setup is for my parents basement. The parts I am using are from their old desktop. The HDD's are brand new (they are Seagate Red NAS drives). I currently have them mirroring each other.

One thing I did notice is that if I have both of the memory sticks installed the system crashes more often than if I have one RAM stick installed. It is possible that the ram can be going bad. I have ordered new ram and it will be here in a few days for me to test that theory. This PC was build in 2017 and I just cant see how the RAM would be going bad but who knows..

I also tried installing a fresh copy of TrueNAS last night with new hard drives (Western Digital RED 6TB) and a new SSD 250gb.. and the restarting still persisted. The temps of the CPU are stable in the 30C range even under full load. This is my first time building a TrueNAS setup.. Please help me! lol

no_connection

Patron
Fun fact, my first FreeNAS (back when it was v7) I used regular PC parts, before I had known how important ECC was. After a few years of service I had to turn it on a few times to get it to boot and it got scary enough for me to get a real server. I could never get those parts working properly after I scrapped it as a NAS.

I have now used ECC for many years for everything and almost never have a crash, bad coding can still hang it ofc but even then it's rare.
I probably have no real evidence ECC did save me any crashes and maybe I'm just nice to computers and servers so they like me but I don't want to take chances.

As far as troubleshooting goes logs and other info goes a long way to tell what happened.

QonoS

Explorer

NugentS

MVP
Are the drives Seagate or WD - I don't think there is a Seagate Red other than as an external USB drive.
If WD then please check that they aren't SMR drives - not that it would cause this problem I think
If Seaget - then I may ave learned something