Server is no longer available on network every ~1day or so, jails still up and running?

metaformed

Cadet
I have this semi-reoccurring weird problem and need some help. Every once and a while my server just disappears off my network. If I look on my router page, my truenas server is no longer listed, but the system is still online.

The system is still online, and some of my jails are still running. I can connect to my plex media server just fine, same with transmission. But I can't load anything that is on the same IP such as the truenas GUI, or a VM for example. I can't access my SMB shares, or any plugins that run on the same IP as the server but just a different port. (I'm not sure if that makes sense, I'm no home network or network of any kind pro)

I have no idea what causes this, and so far the only solution I have is a full manual restart of the system, which is obviously not ideal. Anyone have any ideas? The problem is somewhat manageable if I'm home and able to get up and restart the server but that isn't optimal obviously, and I'm SOL if I'm not home or wont be home for multiple days and want to quickly connect to my sever. I'm not the most networking literate person out there, but I did set my server to use the same IP via my router's (Asus RT-AX58U) DHCP settings, which had no effect.

metaformed

Cadet
My server is running mostly off of old hardware:
Asus z-970a motherboard with a Intel i5 4690k, 16GB ddr3 1600mhz memory, and two WD Red 3tb drives currently installed.

Nick2253

Wizard
Are you able to SSH into your TrueNAS system?

I'm not the most networking literate person out there, but I did set my server to use the same IP via my router's (Asus RT-AX58U) DHCP settings, which had no effect.
This makes me think that you have multiple devices on your network that share the same IP address, which would explain why you run into this problem.

Not sure exactly how you have your network set up, but you want to make sure that your DHCP range doesn't overlap with the static IP addresses that you are setting. (Strictly speaking, you definitely can use reservations with your DHCP server to have it manage your static IP addresses, but I recommend against that for home users, since it creates a dependency on your DHCP server)

One thing to check is the ARP tables on your computer. If your client is Windows, the command is arp -a. Look for the IP address you have assigned to your TrueNAS system. Confirm that the physical address matches the network adapter on the TrueNAS system.

metaformed

Cadet
Are you able to SSH into your TrueNAS system?

This makes me think that you have multiple devices on your network that share the same IP address, which would explain why you run into this problem.

Not sure exactly how you have your network set up, but you want to make sure that your DHCP range doesn't overlap with the static IP addresses that you are setting. (Strictly speaking, you definitely can use reservations with your DHCP server to have it manage your static IP addresses, but I recommend against that for home users, since it creates a dependency on your DHCP server)

One thing to check is the ARP tables on your computer. If your client is Windows, the command is arp -a. Look for the IP address you have assigned to your TrueNAS system. Confirm that the physical address matches the network adapter on the TrueNAS system.
I did make sure that the ip for the truenas system is outside of the range, after setting dhcp off in TrueNAS off and assigning the ip in there. So far I haven't had issues however it has only been ~24 hours.