Server Idle but showing disk Activity

Tekidiots

Cadet
Hello,

I recently built a freeNAS server with 5 2TB WD NAS drives running in a 2u server case in my rack, its been running fine for weeks, but this morning i noticed the HDD LED always on so i logged into the Gui interface checked the disk activitity and shows they are in use however its just for storing files, no VM's no Jails or anything like that.

Does anyone know if the OS does any checks or anything ? i have looked in settings to check if there is anything checked "ticked" where the OS does checks but cant see anything.

Should i reboot the server ? the server gets shut down every night

Regards
Tekidiots
James

Attachments

• diskactivity01.PNG
    diskactivity01.PNG
    104.6 KB · Views: 217
  • diskactivity02.PNG
    diskactivity02.PNG
    67.6 KB · Views: 219

Redcoat

MVP
Welcome to the forums!

Try a search here for "constant disk activity" or similar. You'll find there are hundreds of posts about this issue. Yes, the OS is "very frequently" writing to the system dataset which is on your pool by default - every 5 or 6 seconds as I recall.

You'll also be able to find posts dealing with keeping a FreeNAS system running continuously as the OS is conceived for that duty and is carrying out background maintenance tasks and update checks (the latter requiring internet access).