BUILD Server for Photography Storage and Plex

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,
I'm getting ready to start my first Freenas build and was hoping to get some input before I pull the trigger on the hardware. I used Cyberjack's sticky on Hardware Recommendations to put together this setup, but I want to double check before I order.
The primary purposes of the server will be for backing up my wife's photography and hosting my media for streaming around the house. I'd like it to support up to three streams, although I don't expect that to be a common occurrence. I would also like the option to be able to run virtual machines in jails in the future.

Below is the shopping list I put together. Will this meet my needs (and allow for some future expansion)? Thanks in advance.

Case: Fractal Design Node 304
Motherboard/CPU: Supermicro Mini ITX A1SAI-2750F-O Eight Core DDR3 1600/1333 MHz Motherboard and CPU Combo
Memory: Supermicro Certified MEM-DR380L-SL02-ES16 Samsung Memory - 8GB DDR3-1600 1.35V 2Rx8 ECC SO-DIMM
Hard Drives: 6 x WD Red 3 TB NAS Hard Drive: 3.5 Inch, SATA III, 64 MB Cache - WD30EFRX
Power Supply: Corsair Builder Series CX 430 Watt ATX/EPS 80 PLUS certified Power Suppy

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Looks good, but I'd go with a better PSU, like the Seasonic G-450. The CX430 isn't bad, but the Seasonic has better internals and better output.

sremick

Patron
That's a nice case. I really like mine. Also loaded w/ the same 6 drives. I also hold the opinion (formed many years ago, before I came to this forum) that Seasonic makes the best power supplies. For my FreeNAS server I even went with a Platinum fanless model.

sremick

Patron
Sremick, have you had any temp issues using a fanless psu?
Not that I can tell. My case has 4 fans total, all in-line. So there's a nice current of air passing through my case. The PSU is in the bottom of the case and the bottom is vented so it can easily passively draw air from the bottom.

I don't have a thermal sensor inside of the PSU so no active/direct way of monitoring it but during stress-testing it had no issues nor has it hiccuped during production use.

Status
Not open for further replies.