Seeking Guidance for Motherboard+CPU Replacement

ZodiacUHD

Patron
Hello TrueNAS community,

I hope you're all doing well!

I've encountered an issue with my motherboard—it's only recognizing two out of four RAM slots. Currently, I have 16GB, but with services consuming 10/11GB, I'm left with just 5GB for cache.

I'm not an expert in hardware, so I'm reaching out for some advice on choosing new parts. My setup is mainly for SMB shares and "heavy" on PLEX streaming( 2/3 concurrent streams MAX), with jails running Plex, Nextcloud, Transmission, Sonarr, Radarr, Caddy, Bazarr, and AdGuard. Additionally, there's a VM handling containers: Ombi, FlareSolverr, and Prowlarr.

Here are the current specs:

- Motherboard: ASrock Rack E3C224D4I-14S
- CPU: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1231 v3
- RAM: 2 x CT2KIT102472BD160B (only one kit running in single-channel A1, A2 slots)
- Boot drive: Crucial BX500 240 GB
- HDDs: 6 x WD40EFZX
- LSI SAS: 9211-8i 6Gbs
- PSU: Corsair SF450 80 Plus Gold, 450 W
- CASE: Lian Li PC-Q18

I've tried the usual troubleshooting—swapped RAM, reseated the CPU, tried a different CPU, reset CMOS, but anything more than two RAM modules on A1 and A2, and it gets stuck on "system initializing."

I'm not too particular about the new motherboard, but I'd like to stick with the ITX form-factor. The NAS runs 24/7, so power usage and noise matter (noise matters a bit more!). Budget-wise, aiming to stay under €800 (I'm from Italy). I would also like to buy used parts and avoid new components (unless they make much more sense).

I've been content with CORE, but the simplicity of SCALE's containers is catching my eye.

Big thanks to anyone willing to share some wisdom!

Cheers,
Mike

Tony-1971

Contributor
Hello,
On ebay you can find a lot of MB with integrated Intel Xeon D-1541 under 800 euro (you can add at most 4 DDR4 Ecc memory sticks up to 128GB total).
Best Regards,
Antonio