security run output

Status
Not open for further replies.

arta

Cadet
security run output [SOLVED]

Hello all, I have just installed Freenas 8.2 beta 4 -x64 (r11722) and after a couple of days I start getting this message in the security run output email

Checking for uids of 0:
root 0

Checking for passwordless accounts:

Checking login.conf permissions:

Checking for ports with mismatched checksums:

freenasbeta.artgroup kernel log messages:
+++ /tmp/security.7c7g8HCg 2012-07-26 03:01:00.000000000 -0400
+pid 10726 (python), uid 0: exited on signal 11
+pid 10774 (python), uid 0: exited on signal 11

"a couple of hundred more of these all with different pid numbers"

+pid 25617 (python), uid 0: exited on signal 11

freenasbeta.artgroup login failures:

freenasbeta.artgroup refused connections:

-- End of security output --

Can anyone tell me what it means? how do I prevent it? If I restart Freenas the messages go away for a couple of days then reappear
Is this something I should worry about?
I searched the forum and google with the error message and got no hits.so any help will be appreciated.

Thanks
Arta

arta

Cadet
Thanks for the quick reply, I'll run memtest this weekend when the network can be taken down and post the results.

Thanks again

arta

arta

Cadet
I ran Memtest 86 for several days with no errors so I changed the two memory cards with new memory just to be sure and get the same error. I guess the next step will be to replace the motherboard. I have the same mb in another computer so changing it wont be such an issue, I hope. Any other advice anyone?

Arta

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I'm not sure how much work would be involved with your mb changeout. Have you tried updating to the non-beta version of FreeNAS? Your USB stick could be going bad too. I think I'd try those things before I go to a mb changeout. (I hate doing mb changeouts and try to avoid doing them until i'm sure they are necessary)

arta

Cadet
Thanks for the very quick response noobsauce80,
I haven't even checked for a update, I guess that would be a wise thing to do. Is there a way to copy the usb stick to a new one, or to save the setup so it could be restored? I've been using Freenas for a long but I have never had an issue like this to try and resolve.
Again thanks for the quick reply
Arta

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Yes. The manual has directions for saving your configuration as well as restoring it. I'd give a link but i'm on my cell phone and the internet is slow. You should be backing up your config every time before you do an update as well as periodically. If your USB stick just died you'll wish you had your config file. Without it you'll have all of your data in the zpool but none of your users/settings/etc.

arta

Cadet
Thanks, I just downloaded the new image and the manual, I'll study and gather up my courage and do this shortly. While I appreciate your very quick responses, I can wait until you have better access so please be easy on yourself.

arta

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Hehe. It's REALLY easy. Click a button and save a file or click a button and upload a file. So easy my mom could do it.

peterh

Patron
Hello all, I have just installed Freenas 8.2 beta 4 -x64 (r11722) and after a couple of days I start getting this message in the security run output email

Checking for uids of 0:
root 0

freenasbeta.artgroup kernel log messages:
+++ /tmp/security.7c7g8HCg 2012-07-26 03:01:00.000000000 -0400
+pid 10726 (python), uid 0: exited on signal 11
+pid 10774 (python), uid 0: exited on signal 11

"a couple of hundred more of these all with different pid numbers"

+pid 25617 (python), uid 0: exited on signal 11

freenasbeta.artgroup login failures:

freenasbeta.artgroup refused connections:

-- End of security output --

Can anyone tell me what it means? how do I prevent it? If I restart Freenas the messages go away for a couple of days then reappear
Is this something I should worry about?
I searched the forum and google with the error message and got no hits.so any help will be appreciated.

Thanks
Arta

signal 11 ( bus error ) is an application that tries to address outside it's own memory, i.e. a software bug . python in this case

arta

Cadet
Thanks to all for the help. The upgrade was in fact very simple and went just like the manual said. I'll have to wait until tomorrow to see if signal 11 error is resolved.

calgarychris

Contributor
Hi,

In a similar vein, two nights ago I received a security run output email stating the message below. There are hundreds of lines to it. Can anyone confirm what signal 6 means? Do I need to be concerned? I've searched our forums and tried googling, but I've come up empty thus far.

Thanks very much!
Chris

------

Checking for uids of 0:
root 0

freenas.local kernel log messages:
+++ /tmp/security.ZX1FMGj8 2012-08-01 03:01:01.000000000 +1000
+pid 25059 (smbd), uid 0: exited on signal 6
+pid 25075 (smbd), uid 0: exited on signal 6

etc...

arta

Cadet
Good morning calgarychris,

I found this by googling signal 6 rather than the whole error message.

Signal 6 is SIGABRT -- see /usr/include/sys/signal.h. A process dying
with this signal is usually due to it calling the abort(3) function.
That generally indicates that the process itself has found that some
essential pre-requisite for correct function is not available and
voluntarily killing itself, rather than the process being killed by
the kernel because it ran over resource limits or looked at memory
addresses funny or something.

unfortunately I do not know how to debug the issue other than it appears to be related the samba daemon.

My issue may have been resolved by upgrading from beta 4 to the release version but I won't know for sure for a few days.

arta

Cadet
Thanks to everyone for the help. I DL'd the release version and upgraded and it was, as noobsauce80 said, very easy. It's been two day with no error messages so I think all is well. BTW the reason I got no hits when I googled, I searched for the entire error message rather than just signal 11.

Thanks again
Arta

calgarychris

Contributor
Good morning calgarychris,

I found this by googling signal 6 rather than the whole error message.

Signal 6 is SIGABRT -- see /usr/include/sys/signal.h. A process dying
with this signal is usually due to it calling the abort(3) function.
That generally indicates that the process itself has found that some
essential pre-requisite for correct function is not available and
voluntarily killing itself, rather than the process being killed by
the kernel because it ran over resource limits or looked at memory
addresses funny or something.

unfortunately I do not know how to debug the issue other than it appears to be related the samba daemon.

My issue may have been resolved by upgrading from beta 4 to the release version but I won't know for sure for a few days.

Thanks for that Arta - it's weird, it's happened twice, both times at 3:00:01 am - no idea why...Perhaps it's a Freenas RC issue and I need to upgrade to the release version. I'll try that this weekend and see how I go.

Cheers!
Chris

arta

Cadet
It's been several days with no error messages, so I think this can be marked as solved.

Thanks for the help
Arta

Status
Not open for further replies.