Secure Access remote access for Backup purpose

lukazy88

Dabbler
Hello,

I upgraded my TrueNAS (13.0-U5.) Server's hardware and wanted to offer a little service for friends and family.
Many friends and family members have a Synology or QNAP NAS at home where they store files, photos and such.
I wanted to offer them a place they can do a remote backup to.

Key features I'm looking for:
  • users should not be able to even view content of my server
  • users should be isolated so they can only see their own files
  • users should be able to use webdav/rsync to backup their files to my server since this is very easy from HyperBackup within Synology for example
    • webdav only allows for one user so maybe not the right choice
I though of these possible solutions and was wondering which one would be the 'best' or most secure and also if I missed any good alternative:
  • Rsync with chroot directly on the TrueNAS Server
    • chroot will not work with synology and without chroot users can view root file system and some files (not my pools or other user's pools but still a no for me)
      • that might be an issue with permissions and I might be able to fix that
    • rbash might not be secure enough I think?
  • Rsync with chroot with each user in its own little jail
    • more secure becuase users have their own jail
    • more complex since each jail would need it's own port and keeping them up to date is more work (although that could be automated with scripts)
    • running 15/20 (maybe more) identical jails might be not so smart from a performance standpoint compared to doing it on the machine itself without jails?
  • each user get his own jail and I do WebDAV inside the jails
    • more secure becuase users have their own jail
    • more complex since each jail would need it's own port and keeping them up to date is more work (although that could be automated with scripts)
    • running 15/20 (maybe more) identical jails might be not so smart from a performance standpoint compared to doing it on the machine itself without jails?
Would love your input on the situation.

regards