Advice networking setup + remote access

Yakje

Explorer
Currently i am running the latest version of FreeNAS 11.2-U3 and have most of the jails i want up and running (locally) except for Nextcloud (see signature for details).
Now i am trying to figure out what would be the best network setup for me too be able to access my Plex / Nextcloud / Organizr and Nzb360 remotely in the most secure manner possible for a home situation.

Current situation:
At the moment i am living in a house were we share 1 modem/router, which is a "KPN Xperia box V10". This modem is then connected to my own cheap ass router "TP-Link router WR841N", which is connected to my own cheap ass switch "TP-link switch TL-SG1005D", which is connected to my FreeNAS system.

Modem <-> Router <-> Switch <-> FreeNAS

At the moment Both the modem and my own router have DHCP enabled (double NAT situation)
All my jails have there own VNET IP address.

What i am considering:
I have read quite a few topics about the different aspects of setting up a network infrastructure and remotely accessing it in a "secure" manner. From what i understand it's best to (correct me if i'm wrong):
1.) Not open up any ports.
2.) Do it with OpenVPN through ur router.
3.) If you don't have a VPN, do it through SSH tunnel with keys

What I want to achieve is the following:
1) Secure remote connection: as secure as possible for a SOHO situation
2) Plex & Nextcloud remote access for multiple users
3) Organizr & Nzb360 remote access just for me

I was thinking about going down the VPN (i have an active PIA subscription) on my router road, which means i will have to buy a new router (my current router does not support setting up a VPN) I have been looking around and was thinking about buying a Qotom Q355G4 and running Pfsense on it. Would this be a good choice? should i change anything else about my networking setup? I know it is not rlly conveniënt to have a double NAT situation, but since other people are dependent on the modem, i am not sure what setup would be best? Should i change anything about the modem (which is used by multiple people in the house) or my "future" router to get rid of the double NAT for example? I also read about setting up a DMZ, but not sure if this would be suitable for my situation?

I also bought a few domains, for easy access to nextcloud and plex, have not configured them though. Since i am not sure what would be the best approach? Should i setup reverse proxies + SSL for my jails or is this not something i would need, if i take care of the remote access through VPN'ing?

I hope you guys could help me figure out the best setup for my situation, any advice will be greatly appreciated!

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
If your use-case allows for all parties accessing your stuff to run a VPN client, then do that, since it's much simpler to get right.

Reverse proxy will also get you to the results you're after (plex even does it for you, but requires a dedicated port-forward), but making it work properly and getting to proper security is complex.

Consider employing a two- or multi-factor authentication option as part of your implementation to ensure just a password is not enough to get past your security.

Yakje

Explorer
If your use-case allows for all parties accessing your stuff to run a VPN client, then do that, since it's much simpler to get right.

Reverse proxy will also get you to the results you're after (plex even does it for you, but requires a dedicated port-forward), but making it work properly and getting to proper security is complex.

Consider employing a two- or multi-factor authentication option as part of your implementation to ensure just a password is not enough to get past your security.

Thanks for ur reply!

Yea, most people will be able to connect over a VPN client. Was also planning to install a client on the router, so i don't have to install a client on all the devices. But that's only usefull when @ home i guess?

From what i understand, it is either the VPN or the reverse proxy way? Would doing both not be a good idea?

The idea to employ a two- or multi-factor authentication sounds like a good plan, how and where would i go about setting it up?

sretalla