Host unreachable

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spherical

Dabbler
Hi all,

I've been having this issue for some time now and can't manage to find a solution.

I got freenas 8.0.2 installed on a usb stick plugged in to a dedicated machine with 8TB storage. In the past I had a ZFS pool, but I lost it (but this is another issue).

At the moment I can't reach the web GUI. When I boot my freenas server, it doesn't get an IP-address assigned, even though it's connected to a modem/router that's running DHCP. So I setup the IP manually. I pinged to make sure the IP is free.

basic setup.png

That's how my setup is now atm. When I ping my server's IP address I get the destination host unreachable error.

The DSL router/modem is a custom one (bbox2) from my provider. The switch is an 8-port Cisco linksys.

Any ideas? All help would be very welcome!!

In the future I'd like to use the extra modem/router as a wireless access point.

gpsguy

Start by installing the latest FreeNAS (8.3.1-p2), 8.0.2 is ancient.

Next, please tell us about your hardware, especially what NIC (make/model) you're using in your server.

For testing purposes, I'd remove the wireless router/modem from the network, so that everything is plugged into your "Cisco linksys".

Is the computer you're trying to access FreeNAS from on the same subnet as the FN server?

Spherical

Dabbler
Thanks for you reply!

Fact is that I want to try to get my ZFS pool (3,5TB of data!!) back, so up untill that point I won't be upgrading! Or can I upgrade and still recover my data?

The wireless router/modem is not plugged in atm. And it's in the same subnet I think, since it's connected wirelessly to the main modem/router.

The NIC is an onboard one. Not at home atm, so will post specifics tonight!

paleoN

Wizard
Fact is that I want to try to get my ZFS pool (3,5TB of data!!) back, so up untill that point I won't be upgrading! Or can I upgrade and still recover my data?
:confused: What? I thought you said it was gone. The newer ZFS code in 8.3 handles recovery better than the old code in 8.0.2. You should be working on pool recovery first.

Spherical

Dabbler
So if I upgrade my OS I can still do pool recovery?

Sounds possible if I think about it hmmm!?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
So if I upgrade my OS I can still do pool recovery?

Yes. That's precisely why ProtoSD said you should upgrade first. Seems really bizarre because normally you'd focus on your data, then OS updates. But in this case doing it in a backwards fashion is smarter.

The newer zpool versions(yours isn't v28 because you never upgraded to FreeNAS 8.3+) are better at handling certain issues. But since you never upgraded you never upgraded your zpool so some of those potential fixes may not be available for your situation. This is one of many reasons why its important to try to stay involved with your FreeNAS system and keeping it up to date.

travalon

Explorer
I did an upgrade from 8.3 to 8.3.1 and only had to auto import my pools and it worked like a charm. I had a bad USB stick.

gpsguy

Were you able to recover your pool and gain access to the web gui?

Status
Not open for further replies.