Second FreeNAS on network discovered in windows, but cant access/mount share.

I'm new here and not that tech-savvy, so please excuse any ignorance...

I've set up my first FreeNAS system a while back. I mounted an SMB share on my windows machine. All good so far.

Now I'm setting up my second box alongside the first, and trying to mount it in Windows. I need to manually transfer some files from the first to the second box.

The following regards the second box:
I am able to reach the web-GUI. However, in Windows, I can see the share through network discovery, but trying to access it gives the following error:
"Windows cannot access
\\NEWNAS Error code: 0x80070035
The network path was not found."

I've tried accessing it manually in the top bar through \\192.168.2.220 this gives an "Unspecified error" 0x80004005.
I didn't find anything useful on Google, but I'm probably missing something...

The second (new) box has a different (static) IPv4 address, so no conflict there (I think). I've also renamed the Hostname (under Network/Global Configuration) to something different (newnas, instead of freenas).

I've had some trouble with out-of-sync clocks on my systems, but Date in the console appears to give the same time, and both NAS systems use the same NTP servers.

Both SMB services are set up identically, as far as I can tell, except for the NetBIOS Name and BindIP Addresses (newnas and 192.168.2.220 respectively).

The Samba Shares on both machines are set up similarly.

Any help would be appreciated, even if it's a nudge in the right direction. What am I doing wrong here?

Thank you for reading.

Attachments

• NAS_connection_problem.JPG
    NAS_connection_problem.JPG
    43.4 KB · Views: 320
Forgot to mention: both NAS systems are running FreeNAS-11.2-U7 and the client is running Windows 10 Education

I think I solved it. By going to run in Windows (win + R) and trying to enter \\192.168.2.220 I got a different error. I found this video on youtube explaining how you can Enable insecure guest logons in Windows. Now running \\192.168.2.220 again I successfully accessed the share.

I still would like to know why my first FreeNAS system did not have this problem, and the second one does.

Thanks!

Yes, both are running FreeNAS-11.2-U7, or do you need a specific version number?

Right now the new NAS box keeps freezing during or after a large copy to the SMB share. Even the terminal on the device is unresponsive. Only a forced shutdown by holding the power button and starting again solves the freeze.

Right now the new NAS box keeps freezing during or after a large copy to the SMB share. Even the terminal on the device is unresponsive. Only a forced shutdown by holding the power button and starting again solves the freeze.
But i'm fairly sure this is a separate issue. I'll try and solve it on my own, before I bother you guys with it. I'll write a new post if I can't figure it out.

P.s. Thanks for the quick reply, @dlavigne

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
A full hang that requires a power-cycle to fix usually indicates a hardware fault. I would start with booting a memtest ISO and making sure it can run through that first; if you have enterprise gear with out-of-band management like IPMI that shows system event logs, have a look through those to see if it's flagging any faults.

Thank you @HoneyBadger for your suggestion!

Running Memtest86 reveals something weird is going on with my hardware. The single thread test completes without error, however, running multithreaded crashes/freezes the system. I suspect a faulty motherboard or CPU. I hope to test my hardware with a friend soon. I will update this thread if I know more.

Thanks for thinking along.