Scrub Mechanics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr_N

Patron
Just curious about the mechanics of the zfs scrub process as I'm seeing reading and writing with the first scrub in progress since i added my 2nd vdev to pool.

I have re-copied alot of data to the pool since so all the data isnt just on the original vdev.

So at the start the graphs just showed reads (100-150MB/s) to the original vdev and nothing happening on the new vdev (first hour or so) but since then there has been writing (only around 100kB/s) to the new vdev and continued reading on original.

All the previous scrubs have been completed with single vdev and showed reading for the whole 5-6 hrs...

Last edited:

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
ZFS iterates over all the block pointers. It's normal that old data is first in line, with the newer stuff being towards the end.

Mr_N

Patron
Yeah but why the writing to the new vdev during that 2-3rd hrs prior to the reading of its data towards the end?
Is it occurring on the other vdev also and i just cant see it on the graph due to the reading being of such greater magnitude?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Yeah but why the writing to the new vdev during that 2-3rd hrs prior to the reading of its data towards the end?
Is it occurring on the other vdev also and i just cant see it on the graph due to the reading being of such greater magnitude?
Probably unrelated. .system dataset, shares being accessed, ...

Mr_N

Patron
Nope, nothing else was using it during scrub and there were no writes occurring to newer vdev until the scrub started at which point it was continuous...

Status
Not open for further replies.