Scrub after 5 hours on FN 11.2-U6/U7 slows down

RegularJoe

Patron
Hi All,

I might be looking at the wrong data or in the wrong place, I am really just looking to make a baseline to see how this system performs as it ages and to understand when the performance is not good when to look and what to look for.

I am looking at this based on the assumption that longer and slower scrubs mean slower disk results for clients. If I know that 24tb of data can be scrubbed in 6 hours and after xx days my real data is taking 12/24/48 hours I need to look at fragmentation or some other issue.

I looked at another pair of FN nodes that serve NFS 3 files to VMware for VDP backup and they are fragmented so that scrubs take a long time even with very little data.

I have a server that I am testing before putting into production. I have filled the disk with 78% of random data and I do a scrub. For now I have tested a 12 vdev stripe of 3-way mirrors as well as a 1 vdev stripe across two HP SAS D2600 shelves with 3tb Seagate SAS drives. The speed looks good for hours and then I get a slowdown all the way to 0 megabytes per minute and then back to 1.45 gig per minute on the zpool. Nothing is using these pools when I am running. I have a Dell R720xd with 192gb of ram and LSI HBA's running firmware 20.

I also observed this issue on FN 11.2-u6
I do not have any other smart tests or scrubs going on at the same time.
I have looked at the legacy interface for the hard drive temperature reporting and all looks consistent for all drives.
I have a short smart test running every day at 7 am
NetData is not running as a service
Compression is off

You can try it for yourself but I think the magic number is to be able to scrub for at least 6 hours or more, the location of testfile.dat should be on a separate zpool that is very fast.
dd if=/dev/random of=/testfile.dat bs=1M count=10240
for i in {1..2500}; do cp -v /testfile.dat "testfile$i.dat"; done

Tonight I am testing both vola and volb scrubbing at the same time to see if the 5 hour mark happens at the same time on both pools.

1574950680058.png

1574950694279.png

1574950708705.png

RegularJoe

Patron
33 views and no suggestions? The only ODD thing that might not be mainstream on this is I am using a LSI9201-16e SAS2116 4 port HBA to run the external SAS shelves(HP D2600 SAS AJ950A 0150). I am not sure how to view the version of firmware on the SAS expander in the shelves, camcontrol devlist does not seem to show that.

JoeAtWork

Contributor
Newer versions of TrueNAS have better disk metrics. On my Dell R720xd servers I see times when the disk busy/IO go up a lot and sawtooth down to something very low. This looks like caching. I have also seen where a PCIe 3 slot has a PCIe 2 card and the card has a bridge in it to run two devices in one slot. The two examples I have are the LSI 9201-16e(6gbps SAS/SATA) and a Qlogic QLE2564(8gb fiber channel).