Resource icon

Scripted installation of Nextcloud 28 in iocage jail 2018-03-23

danb35

Hall of Famer
That post is three years old, and the Caddyfile syntax was very different back then. What were you trying to accomplish by editing the Caddyfile?

jhax

Dabbler
I am attempting to have it point to the correct domain name. I was not getting any results when I had it set up using the API token, the body within the
Code:
tls
heading in the Caddyfile was
Code:
dns <long API token>
that I had copied when I made the API token with the following permissions...

This API token will affect the below accounts and zones, along with their respective permissions
All zones - Zone:Read, DNS:Edit

That was throwing the 400 responses. So something was incorrect somewhere, but I obtained thispermissions information from your GitHub ReadMe so what could I possibly be doing incorrectly?

jhax

Dabbler
I updated my Caddyfile in accordance with your dns template after rolling my API token and testing it via the curl script and it seems to have worked. My apologies for being a pain. I have been trying to get nextcloud set up in order to share photos of our firstborn with family and the photos are adding up. Hopefully this latest config change sticks. I was wondering Dan, if you have looked into the use of the Zero Access Tunnels feature in Cloudflare in order to prevent the need to open 80 and 443?

victort

Guru
This is more or less out of curiosity.

I just destroyed a jail that was created about a year ago and tried to do a reinstall.

It installed, but then gave a 500 error when trying to access. I’ve done this before without errors but it was within a few days of each other.

I wonder if this is because of the new php81 packages, or something that changed in the script or Nextcloud.

Nextcloud version was 26 on both the install and reinstall.

danb35

Hall of Famer
if you have looked into the use of the Zero Access Tunnels feature in Cloudflare in order to prevent the need to open 80 and 443?
I haven't. I think it'd be a helpful feature, but I don't want my script to be Cloudflare-specific if I can help it.

victort

Guru
if you have looked into the use of the Zero Access Tunnels feature in Cloudflare in order to prevent the need to open 80 and 443?
This is actually really simple.

You can basically follow this guide, and use the cloudflared rc.d file linked in the last post, insted of running the commands.
Once you have placed your token in the YOURTOKENHERE field, you can just service cloudflared start and it starts working.

Here is a copy of that rc.d file. I'm using this right now.

Code:
#!/bin/sh

# PROVIDE: cloudflared
# REQUIRE: cleanvar SERVERS
#
# Options to configure cloudflared via /etc/rc.conf:
#
# cloudflared_enable (bool)     Enable service on boot
#                               Default: NO
#
# cloudflared_conf (str)        Config file to use
#                               Default: /usr/local/etc/cloudflared/config.yml
#
# cloudflared_mode (str)        Mode to run cloudflared as (e.g. 'tunnel', 'tunnel run'
#                               or 'proxy-dns'). Should you use the default, a free
#                               tunnel is set up for you.
#                               Default: "tunnel"

. /etc/rc.subr

name="cloudflared"
rcvar="cloudflared_enable"
logfile="/var/log/cloudflared.log"
pidfile="/var/run/cloudflared.pid"
procname="/usr/local/bin/cloudflared"

load_rc_config $name

: ${cloudflared_enable:="NO"}
: ${cloudflared_conf:="/usr/local/etc/cloudflared/config.yml"}
: ${cloudflared_mode:="tunnel run"}
: ${cloudflared_token:="eyJhIjoiZjU2YzQ5MTk4ZGQ1NGY4ZjNlY2JjOGI3NjQxY2Y3ZGEiLCJ0IjoiMmQ4ZGVlMTUtODc3MS00OTJiLWFiZmItMGE1YTE5YTg4ODBhIiwicyI6Ik5qUXdOR1UyT1RNdE5XVTJNaTAwTVROakxXSTBNamd0TmpFNU56Y3daVGhtTTJNeCJ9"}

command="/usr/sbin/daemon"
command_args="-o ${logfile} -p ${pidfile} -f ${procname} ${cloudflared_mode} --token ${cloudflared_token}"

run_rc_command "$1"

victort

Guru
This is more or less out of curiosity.

I just destroyed a jail that was created about a year ago and tried to do a reinstall.

It installed, but then gave a 500 error when trying to access. I’ve done this before without errors but it was within a few days of each other.

I wonder if this is because of the new php81 packages, or something that changed in the script or Nextcloud.

Nextcloud version was 26 on both the install and reinstall.
I think i found the issue as per this post.

Aephir

Dabbler
I recently started getting loads of errors in the logs. Or, at least I recently noticed. I've added the latest few (non-duplicate) entries below.

The `/var/log/nextcloud.log` has permissions 640, and there's no `/var/log/nextcloud.log.1` file. For the others, I don't evne know where to start.

Errors:
PHP:
 Error: Error: rename(/var/log/nextcloud.log,/var/log/nextcloud.log.1): Permission denied at /usr/local/www/nextcloud/lib/public/Log/RotationTrait.php#52 at <<closure>>

0. <<closure>>
   OC\Log\ErrorHandler::onError(2, "rename(/var/log ... d", "/usr/local/www/ ... p", 52)
1. /usr/local/www/nextcloud/lib/public/Log/RotationTrait.php line 52
   rename("/var/log/nextcloud.log", "/var/log/nextcloud.log.1")
2. /usr/local/www/nextcloud/lib/private/Log/Rotate.php line 44
   OC\Log\Rotate->rotate()
3. /usr/local/www/nextcloud/lib/private/BackgroundJob/Job.php line 54
   OC\Log\Rotate->run(null)
4. /usr/local/www/nextcloud/cron.php line 152
   OC\BackgroundJob\Job->execute(["OC\\BackgroundJob\\JobList"], ["OC\\Log"])
at 2023-06-05T08:50:02+02:00

[mail] Error: OCA\Mail\Exception\ServiceException: IMAP error synchronizing account 1: Error connecting to mail server. at <<closure>>

0. /usr/local/www/nextcloud/apps/mail/lib/BackgroundJob/SyncJob.php line 121
   OCA\Mail\IMAP\MailboxSync->sync(["OCA\\Mail\\Account"], ["OC\\AppFramework\\ScopedPsrLogger"], true)
1. /usr/local/www/nextcloud/lib/public/BackgroundJob/Job.php line 79
   OCA\Mail\BackgroundJob\SyncJob->run([1])
2. /usr/local/www/nextcloud/lib/public/BackgroundJob/TimedJob.php line 95
   OCP\BackgroundJob\Job->execute(["OC\\BackgroundJob\\JobList"], ["OC\\Log"])
3. /usr/local/www/nextcloud/cron.php line 152
   OCP\BackgroundJob\TimedJob->execute(["OC\\BackgroundJob\\JobList"], ["OC\\Log"])
at 2023-06-05T08:20:03+02:00

[PHP] Error: Allowed memory size of 536870912 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 12288 bytes) at /usr/local/www/nextcloud/lib/public/AppFramework/Db/Entity.php#68
at 2023-06-05T08:17:19+02:00

[PHP] Error: Error: dns_get_record(): A temporary server error occurred. at /usr/local/www/nextcloud/lib/private/Http/Client/DnsPinMiddleware.php#83 at <<closure>>

0. <<closure>>
    OC\Log\ErrorHandler::onError(2, "dns_get_record( ... .", "/usr/local/www/ ... p", 83)
 1. /usr/local/www/nextcloud/lib/private/Http/Client/DnsPinMiddleware.php line 83
    dns_get_record("api.met.no", 16)
 2. /usr/local/www/nextcloud/lib/private/Http/Client/DnsPinMiddleware.php line 128
    OC\Http\Client\DnsPinMiddleware->dnsResolve("api.met.no", 1)
 3. /usr/local/www/nextcloud/3rdparty/guzzlehttp/guzzle/src/PrepareBodyMiddleware.php line 35
    OC\Http\Client\DnsPinMiddleware->OC\Http\Client\{closure}("*** sensitive parameters replaced ***")
 4. /usr/local/www/nextcloud/3rdparty/guzzlehttp/guzzle/src/Middleware.php line 31
    GuzzleHttp\PrepareBodyMiddleware->__invoke("*** sensitive parameters replaced ***", "*** sensitive parameters replaced ***")
 5. /usr/local/www/nextcloud/3rdparty/guzzlehttp/guzzle/src/RedirectMiddleware.php line 71
    GuzzleHttp\Middleware::GuzzleHttp\{closure}("*** sensitive parameters replaced ***")
 6. /usr/local/www/nextcloud/3rdparty/guzzlehttp/guzzle/src/Middleware.php line 63
    GuzzleHttp\RedirectMiddleware->__invoke("*** sensitive parameters replaced ***", "*** sensitive parameters replaced ***")
 7. /usr/local/www/nextcloud/3rdparty/guzzlehttp/guzzle/src/HandlerStack.php line 75
    GuzzleHttp\Middleware::GuzzleHttp\{closure}("*** sensitive parameters replaced ***")
 8. /usr/local/www/nextcloud/3rdparty/guzzlehttp/guzzle/src/Client.php line 331
    GuzzleHttp\HandlerStack->__invoke("*** sensitive parameters replaced ***", "*** sensitive parameters replaced ***")
 9. /usr/local/www/nextcloud/3rdparty/guzzlehttp/guzzle/src/Client.php line 168
    GuzzleHttp\Client->transfer("*** sensitive parameters replaced ***", "*** sensitive parameters replaced ***")
10. /usr/local/www/nextcloud/3rdparty/guzzlehttp/guzzle/src/Client.php line 187
    GuzzleHttp\Client->requestAsync("get", ["GuzzleHttp\\Psr7\\Uri"], ["/mnt/files/fil ... "])
11. /usr/local/www/nextcloud/lib/private/Http/Client/Client.php line 218
    GuzzleHttp\Client->request("get", "https://api.met ... 6", ["/mnt/files/fil ... "])
12. /usr/local/www/nextcloud/apps/weather_status/lib/Service/WeatherStatusService.php line 415
    OC\Http\Client\Client->get("https://api.met ... 6", [["NextcloudWeat ... ]])
13. /usr/local/www/nextcloud/apps/weather_status/lib/Service/WeatherStatusService.php line 380
    OCA\WeatherStatus\Service\WeatherStatusService->requestJSON("https://api.met ... t", ["55.65","12.49",6])
14. /usr/local/www/nextcloud/apps/weather_status/lib/Service/WeatherStatusService.php line 358
    OCA\WeatherStatus\Service\WeatherStatusService->forecastRequest(55.646701, 12.485637, 6)
15. /usr/local/www/nextcloud/apps/weather_status/lib/Controller/WeatherStatusController.php line 118
    OCA\WeatherStatus\Service\WeatherStatusService->getForecast()
16. /usr/local/www/nextcloud/lib/private/AppFramework/Http/Dispatcher.php line 225
    OCA\WeatherStatus\Controller\WeatherStatusController->getForecast()
17. /usr/local/www/nextcloud/lib/private/AppFramework/Http/Dispatcher.php line 133
    OC\AppFramework\Http\Dispatcher->executeController(["OCA\\WeatherSt ... "], "getForecast")
18. /usr/local/www/nextcloud/lib/private/AppFramework/App.php line 172
    OC\AppFramework\Http\Dispatcher->dispatch(["OCA\\WeatherSt ... "], "getForecast")
19. /usr/local/www/nextcloud/lib/private/Route/Router.php line 298
    OC\AppFramework\App::main("OCA\\WeatherSta ... r", "getForecast", ["OC\\AppFramewo ... "], ["ocs.weather_st ... "])
20. /usr/local/www/nextcloud/ocs/v1.php line 62
    OC\Route\Router->match("/ocsapp/apps/we ... t")
21. /usr/local/www/nextcloud/ocs/v2.php line 23
    require_once("/usr/local/www/nextcloud/ocs/v1.php")

GET /ocs/v2.php/apps/weather_status/api/v1/forecast
from 10.0.30.21 by walden at 2023-06-05T07:59:14+02:00
[/QUOTE]

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
For the rename operation the user needs to have write access to the /var/log directory. Which the www user does not. Why is Nextcloud logging to /var/log instead of the data directory at all? That's not the default. @danb35? Your call?

Aephir

Dabbler
Why is Nextcloud logging to /var/log instead of the data directory at all?
Couldn't say, I just ran the script and let things be (well, with a few additions in the config.php).

Any idea about the others? I started getting notifications that Nextcloud has "not been able to check for updates" for 12 days (which is why I looked at the logs in the first place).

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Looks like your jail does not have full Internet connectivity. Can you ping google.com from a shell in the jail? Can you pong 8.8.8.8? What is the default gateway set to? Can you ping that? What's in /etc/resolv.conf? All inside the jail, of course.

Aephir

Dabbler
Looks like your jail does not have full Internet connectivity
There might be something about that.

my /etc/resolv.conf is:
Code:
# Generated by resolvconf
search local
nameserver 10.0.30.43
nameserver 1.1.1.1

Which fits (10.0.30.43 is my PiHole/DNSMasq and I use Cloudfare as backup).

Ping [anything, IP or fqdn] from within the jail returns
Code:
root@nextcloud:~ # ping 8.8.8.8
ping: ssend socket: Operation not permitted

From the shell of the TrueNAS:
Code:
root@truenas[~]# ping 8.8.8.8
PING 8.8.8.8 (8.8.8.8): 56 data bytes
ping: sendto: No route to host

Gateway is 10.0.30.1, and I can ping that just fine (from TrueNAS shell, still not permitted from Nextcloud jail shell).

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
iocage get ip4_addr <name of nextcloud jail>; iocage get defaultrouter <name of nextcloud jail>

Aephir

Dabbler
iocage get ip4_addr <name of nextcloud jail>; iocage get defaultrouter <name of nextcloud jail>
IP of jail is 10.0.30.67 (lagg1|10.0.30.67/24), and of router is 10.0.30.1.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Sorry, not a routing problem at all, possibly. To use ping you need to permit raw sockets in the jail settings.

victort

Guru
When did you run the script?
Did you run in as a new installation, or reinstall action?

I just ran it yesterday as a new installation and everything is fine.

Couldn't say, I just ran the script and let things be (well, with a few additions in the config.php).
What additions?

Aephir

Dabbler
When did you run the script?
Did you run in as a new installation, or reinstall action?

I just ran it yesterday as a new installation and everything is fine.

What additions?
It was a reinstall around May/June 2022.

As I remember, the edits to config were mostly adding trusted domains/proxy, and at least one of the `overwrite`-something (one of them, can't remember which one, was giving problems). But here's the full config (keep in mind though, that it has been running almost a year with this config and no errors in the logs):

Code:
<?php
$CONFIG = array (
  'passwordsalt' => 'REDACTED',
  'secret' => 'REDACTED',
  'trusted_domains' =>
  array (
    0 => 'localhost',
    1 => 'next.MY.DOMAIN',
    2 => '10.0.10.*',
    3 => '10.0.30.67',
    4 => '10.0.30.21',
  ),
  'trusted_proxies' =>
  array (
    0 => '10.0.30.21',
    1 => '127.0.0.1',
  ),
  'forwarded_for_headers' =>
  array (
    0 => 'HTTP_X_FORWARDED_FOR',
  ),
  'datadirectory' => '/mnt/files',
  'dbtype' => 'mysql',
  'version' => '24.0.12.1',
  'overwrite.cli.url' => 'https://next.MY.DOMAIN',
  'overwriteprotocol' => 'https',
  'dbname' => 'nextcloud',
  'dbhost' => 'localhost:/tmp/mysql.sock',
  'dbport' => '',
  'dbtableprefix' => 'oc_',
  'mysql.utf8mb4' => true,
  'dbuser' => 'nextcloud',
  'dbpassword' => 'REDACTED'
  'installed' => true,
  'instanceid' => 'REDACTED',
  'logtimezone' => 'Europe/Copenhagen',
  'default_phone_region' => 'DK',
  'log_type' => 'file',
  'logfile' => '/var/log/nextcloud.log',
  'loglevel' => 3,
  'logrotate_size' => '104847600',
  'memcache.local' => '\\OC\\Memcache\\APCu',
  'mail_smtpmode' => 'smtp',
  'mail_sendmailmode' => 'smtp',
  'mail_smtphost' => '10.0.30.21',
  'maintenance' => false,
  'theme' => '',
  'twofactor_enforced' => 'true',
  'twofactor_enforced_groups' =>
  array (
  ),
  'twofactor_enforced_excluded_groups' =>
  array (
    0 => 'no-TOTP',
  ),
  'mail_smtpport' => '25',
  'app_install_overwrite' =>
  array (
    0 => 'files_texteditor',
  ),
  'mail_from_address' => 'mail',
  'mail_domain' => 'MY.DOMAIN',
);

@Patrick M. Hausen I'm still a bit warm on your networking explanation; I can't say for sure that it coincided, but I did replace a dead EdgeRouter X for an UniFi USG (3p) not that long ago. Also, I tried stopping the jail to enable `raw_sockets`, and it seems like I can't change this setting (after jail creation?). BUT, when I clicked Edit for the stopped jail, I got this error shown:

Code:
Error: Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/urllib3/connection.py", line 156, in _new_conn
    conn = connection.create_connection(
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/urllib3/util/connection.py", line 84, in create_connection
    raise err
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/urllib3/util/connection.py", line 74, in create_connection
    sock.connect(sa)
OSError: [Errno 65] No route to host

During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/urllib3/connectionpool.py", line 665, in urlopen
    httplib_response = self._make_request(
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/urllib3/connectionpool.py", line 376, in _make_request
    self._validate_conn(conn)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/urllib3/connectionpool.py", line 994, in _validate_conn
    conn.connect()
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/urllib3/connection.py", line 334, in connect
    conn = self._new_conn()
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/urllib3/connection.py", line 168, in _new_conn
    raise NewConnectionError(
urllib3.exceptions.NewConnectionError: <urllib3.connection.VerifiedHTTPSConnection object at 0x82c54c6d0>: Failed to establish a new connection: [Errno 65] No route to host

File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/requests/adapters.py", line 439, in send
    resp = conn.urlopen(
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/urllib3/connectionpool.py", line 719, in urlopen
    retries = retries.increment(
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/urllib3/util/retry.py", line 436, in increment
    raise MaxRetryError(_pool, url, error or ResponseError(cause))
urllib3.exceptions.MaxRetryError: HTTPSConnectionPool(host='www.freebsd.org', port=443): Max retries exceeded with url: /security/unsupported.html (Caused by NewConnectionError('<urllib3.connection.VerifiedHTTPSConnection object at 0x82c54c6d0>: Failed to establish a new connection: [Errno 65] No route to host'))

File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 138, in call_method
    result = await self.middleware._call(message['method'], serviceobj, methodobj, params, app=self,
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1224, in _call
    return await self.run_in_executor(prepared_call.executor, methodobj, *prepared_call.args)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1128, in run_in_executor
    return await loop.run_in_executor(pool, functools.partial(method, *args, **kwargs))
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/concurrent/futures/thread.py", line 52, in run
    result = self.fn(*self.args, **self.kwargs)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/schema.py", line 979, in nf
    return f(*args, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/plugins/jail_freebsd.py", line 827, in releases_choices
    choices = {str(k): str(k) for k in ListableReleases(remote=remote)}
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/iocage_lib/release.py", line 47, in __init__
    self.eol_list = IOCFetch.__fetch_eol_check__()
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/iocage_lib/ioc_fetch.py", line 114, in __fetch_eol_check__
    req = requests.get(_eol)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/requests/api.py", line 75, in get
    return request('get', url, params=params, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/requests/api.py", line 60, in request
    return session.request(method=method, url=url, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/requests/sessions.py", line 533, in request
    resp = self.send(prep, **send_kwargs)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/requests/sessions.py", line 646, in send
    r = adapter.send(request, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/requests/adapters.py", line 516, in send
    raise ConnectionError(e, request=request)
requests.exceptions.ConnectionError: HTTPSConnectionPool(host='www.freebsd.org', port=443): Max retries exceeded with url: /security/unsupported.html (Caused by NewConnectionError('<urllib3.connection.VerifiedHTTPSConnection object at 0x82c54c6d0>: Failed to establish a new connection: [Errno 65] No route to host'))

danb35

Hall of Famer
Why is Nextcloud logging to /var/log instead of the data directory at all? That's not the default. @danb35? Your call?
That's where my script sets it, because that's where log files generally go--but I hadn't considered permissions in there to rename/create files. Most likely this problem has been there for a long time, and nobody's noticed it. I'm thinking the fix is going to be to create /var/log/nextcloud/, set its permissions appropriately, and put the log file there--I'll see if I can get that into the script in the next few days.

wlevels

Cadet
Great script, the explanation was clear as well and everything seemed to be going pretty smooth. The only thing is that now the Jail doesn't seem to be responding to a request towards the FQDN. What I did:
- I went through this thread (sort off, it's 133 pages)
- I already found out at first that DHCP was not supported, I fixed that by adding a DHCP reservation
- I made sure DNS is set correctly
- I can ping/resolve DNSthe Jail and I can ping/resolve DNS from the Jail
- I searched in /var/log, nextcloud.log seems to be empty
- I restarted the Jail multiple times, also went through the installation log, I don't see any errors.

Can anybody point me in the right direction how I can troubleshoot this? Sadly I don't know Nextcloud good enough yet to understand how it works under the hood. Thanks!

victort

Guru
Great script, the explanation was clear as well and everything seemed to be going pretty smooth. The only thing is that now the Jail doesn't seem to be responding to a request towards the FQDN. What I did:
- I went through this thread (sort off, it's 133 pages)
- I already found out at first that DHCP was not supported, I fixed that by adding a DHCP reservation
- I made sure DNS is set correctly
- I can ping/resolve DNSthe Jail and I can ping/resolve DNS from the Jail
- I searched in /var/log, nextcloud.log seems to be empty
- I restarted the Jail multiple times, also went through the installation log, I don't see any errors.

Can anybody point me in the right direction how I can troubleshoot this? Sadly I don't know Nextcloud good enough yet to understand how it works under the hood. Thanks!
The log file that will help the most would be at /var/log/caddy/caddy.log