Resource icon

Scripted installation of Nextcloud 28 in iocage jail 2018-03-23

xames

Patron
hi, nextcloud talk in this script works? i try on iphone and tell me "nexcloud server not found", in gui over pc app is active and working seems.

airflow

Contributor
On the reverse proxy warning, see:

Do I understand correctly that the problem with the error message "The reverse proxy header configuration is incorrect, or you are accessing Nextcloud from a trusted proxy." could not be solved and should just be ignored? In the linked thread there is no outcome of the analysis.

danb35

Hall of Famer
I haven't seen any explanation of that message that accounts for how I'm seeing it. The one response I got (a couple of months after the fact) was to add Cloudflare's IPs as trusted proxies, which would be irrelevant to me since I was access it entirely over my LAN.

T_T

Explorer
I have been running nextcloud for while and everything is working properly. Now, I wanted to step it up a notch and actually want to install caddy on its own jail and set up a reverse proxy so that I can multiple sub-domain for my other apps. I have used this exact automation script along with others (heimdall, plex...). I did noticed when running nextcloud and heimdall they both already included Caddy. I found @danb35 script for installing Caddy. But how do I clean up the Caddy mess that already included when previously installed nextcloud and heimdall. What change do I need to make in the Caddy files?

danb35

Hall of Famer
But how do I clean up the Caddy mess that already included when previously installed nextcloud and heimdall.
What about either of these do you think is a mess? Both Heimdall and Nextcloud, as I install them with my scripts, use Caddy as the web server--just as other guides/scripts/plugins use Apache or nginx as web servers. If you also want to use Caddy as a reverse proxy to allow remote access to internal resources, you have a few options:
  • Edit the Caddyfile in one of the existing installations to do this, and use your router to forward ports 80 and 443 to that jail
  • Create a separate Caddy jail, edit its Caddyfile to act as a reverse proxy, and forward 80 and 443 there
  • If you're using OPNsense for your router, install Caddy there and configure that Caddyfile accordingly
    • ...or use the better-supported HAProxy, but then you aren't using Caddy--and I find it's a lot easier to write three lines of Caddyfile than click through 27 different steps of HAProxy configuration
I use a combination of the first and third. For resources I want to be available outside my LAN (e.g., Ombi or Bitwarden), I use Caddy on my router. There's no point-and-click UI for it as there is for HAProxy, but the configuration is still so much simpler. Here's my Caddyfile there:
Code:
{
    email admin@mydomain
}

ombi.mydomain {
    reverse_proxy 192.168.1.28:5000
}

bitwarden.mydomain {
    reverse_proxy https://bitwarden.mydomain
}

opnsense.mydomain {
    @denied not remote_ip 192.168.0.0/22
    abort @denied
    reverse_proxy localhost:81
}

It proxies any traffic from outside for Ombi and Bitwarden, but only accepts traffic from 192.168.0.0/22 (i.e., .0.x, .1.x, .2.x, or .3.x) for the OPNsense UI itself. And, as Caddy usually does, it handles certs, HTTPS redirect, TLS configuration, and all that other stuff automatically, all of which would need to be manually configured (and all in different places) if I were using HAProxy.

Caddy in my Heimdall jail handles proxies for resources I just use in my LAN and don't expose to the outside--I use the proxy in this case to (1) access those resources without having to remember wacky port numbers; and (2) add HTTPS, as browsers increasingly complain if you're using HTTP (and especially entering information via HTTP). I use an internal CA with this Caddy installation to issue certs, and it manages them perfectly.

So, if you want to use Caddy as a reverse proxy, how to go about it? Probably the simplest way to do it would be to forward ports 80 and 443 to your Nextcloud installation, and add the reverse proxy directives for other services to that Caddyfile. That's likely the simplest way to do it, as Nextcloud itself isn't behind a proxy, so it doesn't need to be told about one.

Failing that, Nextcloud needs to be told if it's behind a proxy. There's a good bit of discussion on that subject up-thread, and also what looks like some relevant stuff here:

T_T

Explorer
What about either of these do you think is a mess?
Sorry, I don't meant to say they were a mess. They're perfectly neat and working nice haha. I'm just a bit OCD when it come to stuff just sitting there without getting use and I like to keep thing clean. Now, I don't know if the Caddy instances in nextcloud and heimdall would get use anymore if I created a new instances of Caddy in a separate jail.

I'm sure the info you provided were great info, but it is a little bit over my head. So, what I am planning on doing would just be the 2nd option as you suggested. If I do that, then do I need to copy all the stuff in the Caddyfile within Nextcloud and Heimdall to the newly created Caddyfile in the new jail?

Here is the Caddyfile within nextcloud:
{
# debug
##acme_ca https://acme-staging-v02.api.letsencrypt.org/directory
email example@gmail.com
# default_sni example.com
}

example.us {
root * /usr/local/www/nextcloud
file_server
log {
output file /var/log/example.com.log
format single_field common_log
}

php_fastcgi 127.0.0.1:9000 {
env front_controller_active true
}

header {
# enable HSTS
Strict-Transport-Security max-age=31536000;
}

# client support (e.g. os x calendar / contacts)
redir /.well-known/carddav /remote.php/dav 301
redir /.well-known/caldav /remote.php/dav 301
redir /.well-known/webfinger /index.php/.well-known/webfinger 301
redir /.well-known/nodeinfo /index.php/.well-known/nodeinfo 301

# .htaccess / data / config / ... shouldn't be accessible from outside
@forbidden {
path /.htaccess
path /data/*
path /config/*
path /db_structure
path /.xml
path /README
path /3rdparty/*
path /lib/*
path /templates/*
path /occ
path /console.php
}

respond @forbidden 404
}

Here is the Caddyfile within heimdall:

:80 {
encode gzip

log {
output file /var/log/heimdall_access.log
}

root * /usr/local/www/html/public
file_server

php_fastcgi 127.0.0.1:9000

# Add reverse proxy directives here if desired
}

Last edited:

danb35

Hall of Famer
but it is a little bit over my head.
Sorry to be blunt, but I think you're going to need to do some reading so that it isn't so far over your head. You're looking to expose portions of your home network to the Internet. The Internet is a dangerous place, and you have private data on your home network that you don't want to expose. Doing this safely takes some planning.

So, what I am planning on doing would just be the 2nd option as you suggested. If I do that, then do I need to copy all the stuff in the Caddyfile within Nextcloud and Heimdall to the newly created Caddyfile in the new jail?
No, that wouldn't work--that Caddy jail wouldn't have access to the data for either Nextcloud or Heimdall. The Caddyfile in that jail would consist only of reverse proxy statements, like this:
Code:
cloud.yourdomain {
    reverse_proxy 192.168.100.100
}

heimdall.yourdomain {
    reverse_proxy 192.168.100.101
}

radarr.yourdomain {
    reverse_proxy 192.168.100.102:7878
}

...and so forth--a lot like the example I posted the other day, in fact.

The problem with doing it this way is that Nextcloud, in particular, needs to be configured to be behind a reverse proxy--and I really can't help you there, as I don't use it that way, but there's quite a bit of discussion up-thread on the question, as well as at the link I gave.

That's why I suggested doing the proxying in the Nextcloud jail. To do that, you'd just add the proxy statements (as above) to the Caddyfile there.

Edit: forgot to address this:
Now, I don't know if the Caddy instances in nextcloud and heimdall would get use anymore if I created a new instances of Caddy in a separate jail.
Yes, they would. Again, Caddy is acting as a web server in both of those cases. Like Apache and nginx, Caddy is a web server that can also act as a reverse proxy--it's just considerably easier to configure, for either application (or both together).

Last edited:

T_T

Explorer
That's why I suggested doing the proxying in the Nextcloud jail. To do that, you'd just add the proxy statements (as above) to the Caddyfile there.
I don't have an OPNsense router so I am not familiar with that configuration.

If you also want to use Caddy as a reverse proxy to allow remote access to internal resources, you have a few options:
  • Edit the Caddyfile in one of the existing installations to do this, and use your router to forward ports 80 and 443 to that jail
  • Create a separate Caddy jail, edit its Caddyfile to act as a reverse proxy, and forward 80 and 443 there
  • If you're using OPNsense for your router, install Caddy there and configure that Caddyfile accordingly
    • ...or use the better-supported HAProxy, but then you aren't using Caddy--and I find it's a lot easier to write three lines of Caddyfile than click through 27 different steps of HAProxy configuration
I already have forward port 80 and 443 to my nextcloud and I can access it from outside of my home network for a while. Seem like my only option is to edit the Caddyfile located within nextcloud. Now, my questions are:
  1. Can I add reverse proxy for things that I want to expose to the internet in the Caddyfile within nextcloud. AND also add reverse proxy for thing that I want to keep within my LAN in the Caddyfile within Heimdall?
  2. If the answer to the above question is yes. Then do I need to create an A record or anything like that from my domain registrar?
  3. What will happen to the stuff that I added to the Caddyfile within heimdall since I only forward port 80 and 443 to my nextcloud?

danb35

Hall of Famer
Can I add reverse proxy for things that I want to expose to the internet in the Caddyfile within nextcloud. AND also add reverse proxy for thing that I want to keep within my LAN in the Caddyfile within Heimdall?
Sure.
If the answer to the above question is yes. Then do I need to create an A record or anything like that from my domain registrar?
A CNAME would probably be the most appropriate, though it's with your DNS provider--who may, but need not, be the same as your domain registrar.
What will happen to the stuff that I added to the Caddyfile within heimdall since I only forward port 80 and 443 to my nextcloud?
It will only be accessible from within your LAN.

T_T

Explorer
How would my Caddyfile in both instances look like? I don't want to just randomly taking thing out or add in things that I am not suppose to. I have the Caddyfile inlcluded above.

It will only be accessible from within your LAN.
So this will work even I only have forward port 80 and 443 to the nextcloud Caddyfile? I am just wondering how my DNS provider would communicate with the Caddyfile within heimdall?

Also, I used namecheap for my DNS provider. What would the CNAME record look like?
What would host and value for the CNAME record be? I currently have this setup on namecheap.
namecheap record.png

Last edited:

danb35

Hall of Famer
I don't want to just randomly taking thing out or add in things that I am not suppose to.
No, you shouldn't randomly be making changes to your server configuration for something that's exposed to the Internet, and really, you should be doing some homework of your own to understand how to do this in the Caddyfile. I think I've given enough examples up-topic to get you started; beyond that, you may be better off asking at the Caddy community if the Caddy docs aren't clear enough.
So this will work even I only have forward port 80 and 443 to the nextcloud Caddyfile?
You've forwarded ports 80 and 443 to the Nextcloud jail. The Caddyfile is the configuration file for the Caddy web server inside that jail.
I am just wondering how my DNS provider would communicate with the Caddyfile within heimdall?
I have no idea what you're asking here--why, and in what way, do you think your DNS provider would need to communicate with the Heimdall jail?

T_T

Explorer
You've forwarded ports 80 and 443 to the Nextcloud jail. The Caddyfile is the configuration file for the Caddy web server inside that jail.
I have nextcloud jail and heimdall in 2 different jail. So if I only forwarded port 80 and 443 to the nextcloud jail. How is the heimdall Caddyfile work?

Do you think your DNS provider would need to communicate with the Heimdall jail?
Yes. I think it would. Because I have Heimdall in a different jail and I thought all the network traffic currently right now within that jail would stay local. Even if I edit the Caddyfile in the Heimdall jail. Let's say when I type radarr.mydomain.us. How is my browser gonna know to either look into the Caddyfile within nextcloud or within heimdall?

garm

Wizard
DNS will point to your public IP which is an interface on your router > your router will see traffic on port 80/443 and send that to the interface of the Nextcloud jail > Caddy will evaluate the domain request and if its nextcloud.mydomain it will process the request for nextcloud /> haimdall.mydomain will be forwarded to another ip and that webserver will process the request for haimdall > when the request has been accepted and processed the corresponding webserver will reply back to the client

This is basic stuff, listen to danb35 and study this before exposing your stuff online, setting up a VPN would probably be better

T_T

Explorer
This is basic stuff, listen to danb35 and study this before exposing your stuff online, setting up a VPN would probably be better
I am trying. I just don't know where to start. That's why I am asking dumb questions. But I figure it wouldn't hurt to ask.

phier

Patron
hello,
i used the script to install nextcloud; but i tweaked part of webservice ; ie i removed caddy and installed apache inside the jail.

is there some best way how to upgrade nextcloud only? ie keep all configs/db/ etc.. just nextcloud only. Currently running 24.0.3.

how do you guys manage that? maybe before any activity - the good idea is to create snapshot on dataset level jails/nextcloud and data-dataset nextcloud?

is it safe/ good idea to run official updater? https://xxxxx.ducxxxx.org/updater/
it shows something like >
1661034102815.png

thanks!

garm

Wizard
What I do (and its very scriptable), (1) put nextcloud in maintenance mode, (2) dump database and create snapshot of dataset for datastore and jail, (3) take nextcloud off maintenance mode, (4) backup datastore from snapshot, (5) backup application and database dump from snapshot

This method puts nextcloud out of action for just a few seconds and users general never notice it

phier

Patron
What I do (and its very scriptable), (1) put nextcloud in maintenance mode, (2) dump database and create snapshot of dataset for datastore and jail, (3) take nextcloud off maintenance mode, (4) backup datastore from snapshot, (5) backup application and database dump from snapshot

This method puts nextcloud out of action for just a few seconds and users general never notice it
@garm and in which step and how do u upgrade?

do you mind to share 1-5 actions on script level?

thanks!

airflow

Contributor
For me the process of updating nextcloud in the jail is very easy. All nextcloud-data resides on a separate dataset which is mapped into the jail. I just update the application by whatever method I used for installing (ports or pkg). Then I connect to the webinterface. Typically some maintenance/conversion is done by nextcloud itself to update it's data structures. Sometimes I add some missing indices to the db afterwards (a simple command). That's it.