Script installing and VM deployment from .img file

NAS_warrior

Explorer
Hi Gents,

I am wondering if there will be some more advanced way to install a VMs on TrueNAS Core?
Something like scripting install similar to docker yml files or managed by CLI from console on remote logged machine???
Also its good idea if is possible to deploy from .img files or any other way of using templates...
I understand that TrueNAS is not meant to be general hypervisor but every OS already doing it.
Its still great NAS and host for jals and VMs (thanks for that!!!)

Regards!

Dan Tudora

Patron
no
no
no from .img
no, go to ESXi
IS a great NAS and very good for jail, bhyve (from FreeNAS/TrueNAS core) is not so great for VM

NAS_warrior

Explorer
Well,
With so many no :smile: you make my day.
At beginning no one was talking for bhive too.
Things are changing.
Also will be good to get few more plugins... - hope this is yes

Dan Tudora

Patron
hello
TrueNAS Scale (based on an Debian linux) can be the answer
with kubernet/doker/container flavor
in this world (FreeNAS/TrueNAS based of FreeBSD) the answer is bhvye/some linux in VM/docker in that VM/what you want in docker container
sound complicated (becouse IS)

NAS_warrior

Explorer
Seems you feel special :wink:
Creating simple NAS was never a problem under ANY Linux version.
Before I come to FreeNAS/TrueNAS ihave used several flavours and all worked great. The only issue at that time was the sleek web management.
Since never been an issue for me to use CLI - family members and regular users are not like most of us.
And thus I stick with FreeNAS/TrueNAS. Oh I love it!!!
But nowadays with so easy to fit web interfaces and plenty of monitoring a system as TrueNAS Core have to be a special "unicorn".
Don't get me wrong since v9.1 and then Coral implementation passed a long way and still have its charm.
And yes is a type of "unicorn".
But what I am talking - its have to be "The Unicorn".
The real reason systems like TrueNAS succeeds in this long term game are people like me and maybe you which spent its precious time and then find a good spot to fit and recommend some of the entry level or the enterprise solution.
As I say - just simple storage is easy!
Example: get proxmox - install it in "whitebox" with plenty of disk space, raid controller, run few VMs, one of them file server and voila!
Get ESXi - same!, Get Ubuntu - same! ... Hell - get Rasbery Pi with Raspbian and you can do storage server.

But I like TrueNAS.
Is it so bad if we ask something that your attitude have to be edgy?

And if you are part of the TrueNAS team I don't think is really smart bickering around.
Stay safe and healthy.

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
@NAS_warrior, be mindful that English is not @Dan Tudora's native language. Sometimes what he says comes across as brusque or sarcastic, but that's just the language barrier. He's also an enthusiast like you, and not part of TrueNAS staff.

Samuel Tai

As for VM support, TrueNAS is limited by what's available in upstream FreeBSD: bhyve, which is much less mature than vmWare, ProxMox, Xen, or other hypervisors. It may get there someday, but TrueNAS isn't meant to be a virtualization platform. bhyve's included basically for experimentation.

NAS_warrior

Explorer
Hi Samuel,
English is not my native language either.
He's Romanian and I am Bulgarian and both our nations swear a lot.:smile::smile::smile:
The issue was the tone. See, you have say the same - but without offence and to be nosy. :smile:
"bhyve's included basically for experimentation. " - I was supporting this decision and it turns it's a good point.

P.S: BTW, I like your slogan :smile:

Samuel Tai

P.S: BTW, I like your slogan :smile:

Yes, it's a memento mori to myself to remember that none of us is immune to brain farts at the most inopportune times.