SCALE with Docker Images and NFS

So Ive been searching but either Im not doing a good job or Im misunderstanding what Im looking at. I just installed SCALE and want to run docker images directly via the APPS section. Right now Im using Debian as my docker system that has an NFS drive connected thats currently hosted by a TrueNAS Core box that I map to the docker image for a data dir that the container needs. Ive found that democratic-csi might be the answer to my question but Im trying to figure out how to use that if SCALE is hosting the docker and the storage is a separate CORE box. Im eventually wanting to move all of my systems into a single SCALE box but for now Im still testing and seeing what I can and cant do. Can someone point me in the right direction? From the docs it says that the docker system in SCALE is managed by Kubernetes but I am not familiar with Kubernetes or how to use the democratic-csi for a container I want to host on the machine. Hopefully Im making sense?

truecharts

Guru
Democratic-CSI is more than just a container, it's, simply put, a plugin for kubernetes.
Though Kubernetes itself already supports NFS connections.

Sadly enough both us and iX Systems have deviced at this time not to expose NFS storage options within the GUI.
You can start your own catalog with Apps if you like or find a way around that.

But if you want the SCALE Apps way, external NFS storage is not really the way to go.
Besides the fact that some containers do not like NFS storage due to inherent locking issues.

Thanks for your response! I understand the locking issues, in the case of how Im using it today isnt an issue for what Im running for the data dir. The container db and base are local to the system its running on so its just a directory the app within the container needs access to is connected via the NFS share to the container host system. Once I move to a single SCALE system I dont see this being an issue as the volumes that are in that CORE system will get moved to the single system where the docker image will be running so it should have access to that volume to map into the data directory the docker app needs. At least thats my understanding. Im wanting to move away from having to run a VM just to host the docker containers essentially.

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
There was too much to do in SCALE angelfish, so we punted on having SCALE apps use external storage... and instead focussed on hyperconverged.

Its possible as a future capability.

Understandable. I successfully tested just today mounting the external NFS from core to a folder in the dataset docker is using and an init command to mount it and that seems to work for what I need to do until I can consolidate.