SOLVED Scale Upgrade/Install problems

Anorpha

Cadet
Hi.

I got a Supermicro system with motherboard X11SPH-nCTPF where i got a TrueNas Core running and working flawlessly, this is of one SuperDOM flashdisk connected to the sSATA ports on the motherboard, UEFI bios.

I tried upgrading this to TrueNAS SCALE 22.02-RC.2 and got the same error as this bug https://jira.ixsystems.com/browse/NAS-113918 which was patched and probably didnt make it to 22.02-RC.2
So instead i tried to do a fresh install and then efter install it gets stuck on a black screen with "Welcome to GRUB!" displayed and does not respond at all, i have tried this with empty disk and all but no respons att all.

Where do i start troubleshooting this problem of a fresh install, even if the upgrade is successfull i would need a fresh install to work if there is a problem and an fresh install would need to be done.

Kris Moore

SVP of Engineering
Administrator
iXsystems
Yea, that fix didn't land in RC.2, will be in release.

You said you are using UEFI bios, but are you booting using UEFI or BIOS mode? I.E. if you turn off CSM and legacy bios boot entirely in the bios, does this problem go away?

Anorpha

Cadet
Tried disabling CSM but still the same problem, i have attached screen of settings in boot and security section of UEFI and whar the screen shows when it gets stuck

Attachments

• Supermicro-truenas1.png
    Supermicro-truenas1.png
    91.6 KB · Views: 283
  • Supermicro-truenas2.png
    Supermicro-truenas2.png
    136.3 KB · Views: 294
  • Supermicro-truenas3.png
    Supermicro-truenas3.png
    8.7 KB · Views: 304

Kris Moore

SVP of Engineering
Administrator
iXsystems
Odd for sure, don't see anything obvious. Latest BIOS revision? What happens if you go other way round, disable UEFI entirely, use BIOS boot and re-install?

Anorpha

Cadet
Latest BIOS yes, 3.5.
When i changed to Legacy boot instead it seems to work, though the first boot it found two boot-pool so i removed one(probably old pool from old CORE install that i removed long time ago) and it booted fine.
Might double boot-pool cause problems at the GRUB stage even before it tries to mount zfs(The drive i removed boot-pool from is not found in UEFI as bootable only P0)

Anorpha

Cadet
To add the other boot-pool was in UNAVAIL state, one disk was missing and the other was corrupted.

Anorpha

Cadet
I tried to change to UEFI just by switching to UEFI boot and turning of CSM on the BIOS install of SCALE and it booted without problem.
I have also tried to reinstall over that install with the format drive option to see if i get the same problem now that i have removed the UNAVAIL boot-pool and the result is SUCCESS!!
Might the problem be a rouge UNAVAIL boot-pool, if so the installer might want to check if this is the case before installing.

HunterAP

Cadet
I'm having a similar but slightly different problem.
My system is an AMD Ryzen 5700G on an Asrock X470 Taichi motherboard.

The issue is that I can only get a successful boot into the USB installer if the USB installer was formatted in dd mode (instead of ISO image mode), and only if CSM is enabled on the system. If I use ISO image mode or CSM is disabled, then I get a quick blip of the install screen before I'm greeted with a kernel panic.

If CSM is enabled and the USB installer was formatted in dd mode, then the install process going swimmingly - until I hit a roadblock with the actual install. I'm trying to install SCALE to a 256GB Samsung 860 Evo SATA SSD, but if I choose it for installation, it fails.
If I select any other disk, such as some WD Blue SATA SSD's I want to use for a pool, it begins installing correctly. The Samsung SSD was formatted before being put in the system, so I'm not sure what's going on here.