Scale NVME pci-e Suport

John_R12

Cadet
Hi,
It is the first I am posting, but I am following the Truenas Scale development anf I have it installed on my HP Microserver Gen 8.
Thank you for this new project of Truenas Scale. It is in Alpha phase but am realy enjoying it and have a huge potential with debian base. With the scale I chenged fron Unraid to Truenas Scale. The applications on Truenas Core are very outdate and are very difficult to setup.

Yesterday I installed an WD Blue SSD m.2 2280 nvme on my pci-e port with the propoer adapter. I have already used this adapter with a samsung m.2 nvme and worked very fine with unraid. I used it to download files from Deluge to not degrade my data pool. The files are transfered automatically after the downloads are finished.

The Truneas Scale can see my nvme drive, on the screen create pool, but during the wipe process I get the following error:
Status: FAILEDStart Time: 2021-03-02 20:29:28Finished Time: 2021-03-02 20:32:02Error: [EFAULT] Failed to wipe nvme0n1: Problem opening /dev/nvme0n1 for reading! Error is 2. The specified file does not exist! Problem opening '' for writing! Program will now terminate. Warning! MBR not overwritten! Error is 2!

and durring the pool creation:

Status: FAILEDStart Time: 2021-03-02 20:29:28Finished Time: 2021-03-02 20:32:02Error: [EFAULT] Failed to wipe disk nvme0n1: [EFAULT] Failed to wipe nvme0n1: Problem opening /dev/nvme0n1 for reading! Error is 2. The specified file does not exist! Problem opening '' for writing! Program will now terminate. Warning! MBR not overwritten! Error is 2!

After this errors the Truenas is unable to see the sdd nvme, via terminal and UI. The bios can see the ssd, but the Truenas not. It is a bug of Scale and can not suport this disk yet?

Thank you.

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
Unusual... we use WD NVMe Blue internally and everything works well.

Can you test the drive in another system?
Has the Hp Microserver used an NVMe drive before?

John_R12

Cadet
Yes. After you information I changed the WD M.2 NVMe with the pci-e (the tiny one) port adaptor to my second server. This server has the Truenas Core 12.0 U 2.1 installed. I was able to format and create a pool only with the nvme disk. Worked very fine and is very fast using SMB share.

After that I disconnect the pool Using the UI.

I changed the NVME disk and the adaptor to the HP Microserver Gen 8. It has installed the TrueNAS-SCALE-21.02-ALPHA.1 version.

I tried to import the pool. The pool was detected, but during the import I get the message:

Code:

Start Time: 2021-03-04 12:46:48

Finished Time: 2021-03-04 12:47:22

Error: ('one or more devices is currently unavailable',)

and the output:

Code:
Error: concurrent.futures.process._RemoteTraceback:
"""
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/python3.9/concurrent/futures/process.py", line 243, in _process_worker
    r = call_item.fn(*call_item.args, **call_item.kwargs)
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/worker.py", line 94, in main_worker
    res = MIDDLEWARE._run(*call_args)
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/worker.py", line 45, in _run
    return self._call(name, serviceobj, methodobj, args, job=job)
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/worker.py", line 39, in _call
    return methodobj(*params)
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/worker.py", line 39, in _call
    return methodobj(*params)
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/schema.py", line 1003, in nf
    return f(*args, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/plugins/zfs.py", line 388, in import_pool
    self.logger.error(
  File "libzfs.pyx", line 391, in libzfs.ZFS.__exit__
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/plugins/zfs.py", line 382, in import_pool
    zfs.import_pool(found, new_name or found.name, options, any_host=any_host)
  File "libzfs.pyx", line 1103, in libzfs.ZFS.import_pool
  File "libzfs.pyx", line 1131, in libzfs.ZFS.__import_pool
libzfs.ZFSException: one or more devices is currently unavailable
"""

The above exception was the direct cause of the following exception:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/job.py", line 378, in run
    await self.future
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/job.py", line 414, in __run_body
    rv = await self.method(*([self] + args))
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/schema.py", line 999, in nf
    return await f(*args, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/plugins/pool.py", line 1420, in import_pool
    await self.middleware.call('zfs.pool.import_pool', pool['guid'], {
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1266, in call
    return await self._call(
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1231, in _call
    return await self._call_worker(name, *prepared_call.args)
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1237, in _call_worker
    return await self.run_in_proc(main_worker, name, args, job)
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1164, in run_in_proc
    return await self.run_in_executor(self.__procpool, method, *args, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1138, in run_in_executor
    return await loop.run_in_executor(pool, functools.partial(method, *args, **kwargs))
libzfs.ZFSException: ('one or more devices is currently unavailable',)

Yes, the HP Microserver Gen 8 had an SSD m.2 nvme 2280 installed with the same adapter, but it was from the samsung brand. In that case, Unraid had been installed. Note that I was using the NVME disk only as storage. I had Unraid installed on a different disk, just like I have Truenas Scale now. The HP Microserver Gen 8 does not natively support booting from the NVME unit connected by pci-e.

John_R12

Cadet
I forgot some importante informations. Sorry, Newbie here :)

Hardware:
- Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E31260L @ 2.40GHz ;
- 16 GB ECC Kigston memory;
- 4x 500 GB HDD (2x WD + 2x Seagate)
- 1x SSD M.2 2280 Western Digital Blue SN550 250GB 3D NAND NVMe (the one that I am talking about)
- 1x 60 GB SSD for apps

I think the controller is in AHCI mode. The raid mode is disabled because I am using ZFS :)

The rest is HP PMicroserver Gen 8 Stock.

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
We use the WD Blue for boot device..... which is different.
What device are you booting from?
We know the NVMe device works?
Has the HP Microserver ever successfuly used the NVMe device or another NVMe device?