SOLVED [SCALE] Mass cleanup/removal of ix-applications snapshots solution required

bnred777

Cadet
So I've read through this several times but I'm still having trouble trying to understand how to correct my 28000 snapshots. I am on bluefin but I still show 28000 snapshots. Can someone tell me what I should do to get this down to a more reasonable size? Would be nice to know how I should have snapshots setup in the first place. I followed a guide that has multiple snapshots running at different time intervals. One is set for every 15 minutes. Is this not what I should be doing?

florihupf

Cadet
Wanted to wrap this up by making it clear that SCALE Bluefin includes OverlayFS for ZFS. This removes all the excess snapshots.

I'll mark this as solved.

Do i need to do something (other than upgrading) to enable this feature?

heisian

Dabbler
I've been on Bluefin and had tens of thousands of snapshots until using truetool (truetool.sh -p) to run docker prune. I still run it on a cronjob and I still have about 3000 snapshots in ix-applications/<various-uuids>... is this normal or what else do I need to do to remove them?

rafpigna

Dabbler
Sorry to write up in an old thread, but I have the same issue and I didn't understood if there is a way to fix this behaviour. I have no automatic snapshots tasks enabled, I just have the
Code:
bash /root/heavy_script/heavy_script.sh update
to run daily and it seems that everytime it runs it create snapshots of everything.
It's not a problem for me, but I would like to have the snapshots be pruned automatically after, let's say, 7 days.
Now, when clicking on any snapshot, I see this message

Code:
Retention:Will not be destroyed automatically

How can I enable an automatic prune?

heisian

Dabbler
Sorry to write up in an old thread, but I have the same issue and I didn't understood if there is a way to fix this behaviour. I have no automatic snapshots tasks enabled, I just have the
Code:
bash /root/heavy_script/heavy_script.sh update
to run daily and it seems that everytime it runs it create snapshots of everything.
It's not a problem for me, but I would like to have the snapshots be pruned automatically after, let's say, 7 days.
Now, when clicking on any snapshot, I see this message

Code:
Retention:Will not be destroyed automatically

How can I enable an automatic prune?
You MUST create an automatic snapshot task that matches the naming schema of your snapshots exactly (Daily-%m-%d-%Y-%h-%m-%s, or whatever). Anything that is not a variable, “Daily”, hyphens, etc., must match EXACTLY.

It is the task itself that will perform pruning. There is no built-in self-pruning mechanism to ZFS snapshots.

The task will periodically search through all matching snapshots and prune them when they get too old.

NugentS

MVP
Doesn't heavy_script prune its own snapshot - just not the other ix ones?