[SCALE 22.12.3.2] GPU Passthrough to VM Hangs

johndanoob

Cadet
Hello all. I am trying one final time to get TrueNAS working on this box before I throw in the towel and try unRAID. I'm trying to set up a Windows 11 VM for use over Tailscale. VM settings are below, and I believe I have everything right in BIOS with VT-D and such.
1688703429089.png

Without GPU passthrough the VM functions fine, but when I try to passthrough the dedicated GPU (GTX 1080) it hangs indefinitely at the "please wait" spinning wheel until I refresh the UI page. I have tried isolating the GPU in question, pinning vcpus, enabling/disabling Hyper-V enlightenments, even completely reinstalling TrueNAS SCALE, makes no difference.
I recently got the below error message after making a new VM and trying to add the GPU before installing the OS, but all other times there's been no error message. Just hangs or crashes. Attached is the log file associated with the VM that got this error.
VM GPU Passthrough error.png

Code:
Error: Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/plugins/vm/supervisor/supervisor.py", line 172, in start
    if self.domain.create() < 0:
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/libvirt.py", line 1353, in create
    raise libvirtError('virDomainCreate() failed')
libvirt.libvirtError: internal error: qemu unexpectedly closed the monitor: 2023-07-07T03:47:31.858200Z qemu-system-x86_64: -device vfio-pci,host=0000:01:00.1,id=hostdev0,bus=pci.0,addr=0x7: vfio 0000:01:00.1: group 1 is not viable
Please ensure all devices within the iommu_group are bound to their vfio bus driver.

During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 204, in call_method
    result = await self.middleware._call(message['method'], serviceobj, methodobj, params, app=self)
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1344, in _call
    return await methodobj(*prepared_call.args)
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/schema.py", line 1378, in nf
    return await func(*args, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/schema.py", line 1246, in nf
    res = await f(*args, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/plugins/vm/vm_lifecycle.py", line 46, in start
    await self.middleware.run_in_thread(self._start, vm['name'])
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1261, in run_in_thread
    return await self.run_in_executor(self.thread_pool_executor, method, *args, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1258, in run_in_executor
    return await loop.run_in_executor(pool, functools.partial(method, *args, **kwargs))
  File "/usr/lib/python3.9/concurrent/futures/thread.py", line 52, in run
    result = self.fn(*self.args, **self.kwargs)
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/plugins/vm/vm_supervisor.py", line 68, in _start
    self.vms[vm_name].start(vm_data=self._vm_from_name(vm_name))
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/plugins/vm/supervisor/supervisor.py", line 181, in start
    raise CallError('\n'.join(errors))
middlewared.service_exception.CallError: [EFAULT] internal error: qemu unexpectedly closed the monitor: 2023-07-07T03:47:31.858200Z qemu-system-x86_64: -device vfio-pci,host=0000:01:00.1,id=hostdev0,bus=pci.0,addr=0x7: vfio 0000:01:00.1: group 1 is not viable
Please ensure all devices within the iommu_group are bound to their vfio bus driver.

Sometimes it crashes the whole machine. A picture of the CLI on the box is attached when I tried to start a VM that had previously attempted a GPU, but no longer had a GPU enabled in the settings. I've found only one other thread with a similar issue and it had no responses. Anyhow I have absolutely no idea why this is happening so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• hung task.jpg
    hung task.jpg
    458.8 KB · Views: 118
  • 3_VM11_new (1).log.txt
    37.9 KB · Views: 68

johndanoob

Cadet
Bump! Please help! I tried slotting the GPU in the PCI x8 slot and got the same exact iommu group call error. Any other ideas?

johndanoob

Cadet
So I got fed up with this and switched to unRAID only to have a similar problem. But then I found something called ACS override (set to 'downstream'), which works to fix the IOMMU groups that seem to be the problem with my setup. I do not want to stick with unRAID for various reasons. It appears from this thread that there is a way to do this with SCALE, but haven't had success getting the IOMMU groups to reorganize. unRAID has a convenient dropdown for this option - common iX systems! Has anyone gotten the ACS override to work with TrueNAS?

Last edited: