SCALE 22.02-RC.1 Feature Flags and Import

Kris Moore

SVP of Engineering
Administrator
iXsystems
Hey folks! Quick update today, we know some users have been bitten by the issue with unsupported Feature Flags on zpool import on SCALE. We've since started gathering more information on this problem, how to detect it and how to resolve here:

We'll update with more information as we go, if additional solutions present themselves.

Note: This is unrelated to the issue with importing pools where SMB + ZFS Encryption is enabled. A hotfix for this issue is expected to land in the next few days.

ryandasilva

Dabbler
has there been any update on this? i just installed Version 22.02-RC.1-2 . Says it was updated 23/11/2021 and i downloaded/installed it on dec 20. aside from not being able to do an upgrade install and having to file a JIRA bugreport i tried to do a clean install which worked and booted to an empty, vanilla config. then i uploaded by previous Core backup file+secrets and it rebooted, applied the config properly but it hangs on the zfs import. The exact message is:

A start job is running for import ZFS Pools (1d 25min 50s / no limit) .

Unable to press control c or control z or control break to kill the import script and move on with the boot process. I saw some mention of code changes that could manually patch the import python script file but i dont like making changes to code on the hopes it might work without IXSystems confirming its safe or at the very minimum a boatload of users giving the all green. There seems to be just to me uncertainty and confusion on this well known and reported issue. Some people mentioned having an app installed on an encrypted pool caused the problem. IM just trying to boot up the first time after importing a core config file as i prev mentioned. There are no apps installed. I do have 2 encrypted pools though with smb shares on it.

Help! Please advise. This is somewhat urgent or i will have to roll back to core. I know that installing beta software on production hardware is a bad idea but hear me out.. this is home production. its my personal admin nas so only im down but its killing me and i dont want to go back to core unless there really is no option. i had the priveledge of this working somehow many months ago where it literally did a smooth upgrade install and it booted ,all my pools were there and god was the UI snappy fast. i want docker and a modern *NIX OS not freebsd that ive been used to being pegged to FreeNAS since i first discovered it back in 2015. Scale is the future. Just wish the devs would iron out all the bugs. I Get that core is their bread an butter but scale wlil never reach that level unless the proper develpoment is put in to it. just rip the bandaid off and get 'er done. IXsystems has a massive free group of unpaid QA like folks who will beta test the shit out of their products in real world scenarios not the lab/sanity qa environments that most QA people operate in! Rant over.

Please advise!! Thanks!

indivision

Guru
Hey folks! Quick update today, we know some users have been bitten by the issue with unsupported Feature Flags on zpool import on SCALE. We've since started gathering more information on this problem, how to detect it and how to resolve here:

We'll update with more information as we go, if additional solutions present themselves.

Note: This is unrelated to the issue with importing pools where SMB + ZFS Encryption is enabled. A hotfix for this issue is expected to land in the next few days.

When I run the command from the link (
Code:
zpool get feature@xattr_compat my_pool
) there is no output at all. Does that mean that I am not impacted by this issue?

I expected to get the same output from the link but with "inactive" under the VALUE column (hopefully)...

I do remember updating a pool flag through the GUI not too long ago. But, not sure if it was this one?

sretalla