SOLVED save electricity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Theapplefuture

Dabbler
Hello Everybody,

I set up my FreeNAS Server a week ago and it works pretty well so far.
But because my CPU and my 6 HDDs consum a lot of electricity I'd like to know (also because of saving energy and be enviormently friendly)
I'd like to put the server into sleep mode when not needed.
SO the question is, is there some kind of Sleep Mode ?

If not, would it be a solution to shut down my NAS when not needed (for example during night or during the time I'm not home ?)
Because there are scrubs which check my data for integraty, the files
are still safe when i turn the Server on, aren't they ?

Hope you can help me with this question.
Thank you for your time

kdragon75

Wizard
There are a few options to save power. If you have no activity on your disks you can let them spin down and save at least 1-3 watts per drive. Depending on your hardware and BIOS your can also do things like low down your RAM. I run my ram at 800Mhz and save about 6 watts (thats with 32GB of ram). If you have ian intel chip with speed step you can tweak clock speeds down with sysctl settings and powerd.

You could get a Xeon D board and run all SSDs or install a solar system on your roof... Perhaps be less of a datahoarder? Ok maybe not the last one. ;)

kdragon75

Wizard
What exactly is your hardware now and what is your idle power consumption?

Theapplefuture

Dabbler
I have Intel Xeon E5-2620 v4 (already got one so I didn't need to buy a new one; Otherwise I also had bought a Xeon D)
32 GB RAM (Kingston ValueRAM)
6x Seagate IronWolf 8 TB
Asus X99-E WS Mainboard
be quiet! 400W PSU (80+ Gold)

I think my idea power consumption is about 140 wattage

kdragon75

Wizard
Try spinning down the disks after something like 1hr and use you motherboard setup to underclock a bit. This might get your idle down to the 100 watt range at best. Dont expect much better than that. You could also check your "BIOS" if there is a power on timer option then you can add a cron job to shutdown every day at 9pm or something like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.