How to put in sleep mode to save Money $$

Status
Not open for further replies.

zuber

Cadet
I calculated the power consumption for the FreeNas Server.

It comes out about $20 per month for my PC. that is Pentium 4.

Is there anyway we can put FreeNas server in sleep mode for the given time?

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
P4 is a power-hog and UFS support is going away from FreeNAS. You may want to look into getting newer hardware that is more energy efficient and able to use ZFS.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
In all seriousness anodos is right. P4s are horribly inefficient as they don't go to deep sleep modes like newer CPUs do. You might find that if you buy newer hardware it will pay for itself in electricity savings in just 2-3 years.

When I built my pfSense box last summer I bought an Atom. I did the math as I had a spare P4 box that was plenty powerful enough to get the job done. But when you do the math I could buy newer hardware and in less than 3 years it would pay for itself. So here I am with new hardware. ;)

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Pentium 4s are only good as cheap small space heaters that happen to perform useful calculations.

They were originally an experiment at Intel to develop semiconductor-based fusion reactors, but when that fell through, the marketing department decided to sell it in a GHz race.

Yes, that is a joke. Get some modern hardware and you'll be a lot happier.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
My FreeNAS, drives and all, averages about 40W. Maybe 30 kWh per month. Maybe $3. And the CPU I have will massacre a Pentium 4.

Time for new hardware sir.

zuber

Cadet
Thanks for great inputs..What is recommended which is reasonable and reliable ?

I can use my current Box and may be buy a better motherboard and built my PC/FreeNAS box from scratch.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.