sata* to /drv/ad* mapping

Status
Not open for further replies.

eyocum

Dabbler
Sorry about posting here, but I'm not sure how to ask the question, and my searches haven't turned up an answer - please point out where I can find the information.

I'm currently testing/playing with drive replacement, and I've run into something odd (I thought). I was trying out the change drive process, when I saw that the controllers were not being mapped to the same ada number that they were physically cabled to (sata0 cabled to ada0 cage, sata1 to ada1 cage, etc). After I replaced a drive and completed the rebuild process, I saw that the new drive was in ada2 per the system, even though I had replaced the drive that was ada1. I removed the new drive, and the current labeling remained (1,3 and 4 populated, 2 empty, but physically sata 1 is empty, and 2,3,4 populated).

What happened? I have more questions, but they'll probably be answered by the right source material...

Thanks for guidance,
Erik

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
Don't pay attention to the assignments like DA0 or ADA0 or whatever... FreeNAS/ZFS uses GUIDs (actually GPTIDs) to identify disks which are written to the disks themselves, so they will work no matter which port/controller they are connected to.

eyocum

Dabbler
Ok, thanks for that. How do I know which physical drive is mapped to which ad* after a change? Do the descriptions stay static (not using them yet, I was bit by this), to the drive even if the drive (ad*) names change? i.e. if ada1 is Desc "Drive 1", the field stays even if the ada1 label goes to ada3 because of the system managing the disks via GPTID?

upload_2018-5-17_19-43-26.png

eyocum

Dabbler
Yes, I was just hoping the 'Description' field would stay static, less labeling of the case to change if I had to change a drive :)

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Device IDs are supposed to be statically tied to the physical ports, but numbering is not likely to match. Don't trust that, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.