Change physical order of drives?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Z300M

Guru
I have 4 x 2TB drives in RAIDZ1, plus a spare, all mounted in a 5-drive cage (5 drives vertically in the space of 4 5.25" drives). I started getting SMART errors on one of the "active" drives (ada2), so I took it offline and replaced it (via the GUI, not physically) by the spare (ada4). Resilvering is still in process. When resilvering is complete, can I move the ada4 drive physically to the ada2 position (so that the replacement spare will still be ada4), or will that confuse FreeNAS?

ProtoSD

MVP
You can move the drive, but I'm pretty sure it will be still be ada4. I think I remember doing the same thing about a year ago expecting the same thing you are, but it didn't change. I had all my drives labeled etc. and wanted to keep them the same way.

Z300M

Guru
You can move the drive, but I'm pretty sure it will be still be ada4. I think I remember doing the same thing about a year ago expecting the same thing you are, but it didn't change. I had all my drives labeled etc. and wanted to keep them the same way.

Now that it's finished resilvering, I see that the new drive (now in the #3 slot in the drive cage) appears as ada2 in the GUI but as

gptid/<hexadecimal string>

when I execute

zpool status

at the command line.

This is with FreeNAS 8.2.0-RELEASE-p1 64-bit

paleoN

Wizard
gptid/<hexadecimal string>
They switched or switched back to using the gptid for disks in 8.2.
Code:
Run the following to see who's who:

glabel status

Or the more verbose:

gpart list

Status
Not open for further replies.