SATA Controller Recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kelly Shutt

Dabbler
My server is currently running a Supermicro X10SLM-F, with one of these cards installed for expansion.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816129087
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816129087

I bought this card when I first built the system 3+ years ago, and at this point it's about the only part that hasn't been upgraded over the years. It's also been giving me problems recently with CRC errors and drive timeouts. I have already tried swapping out SATA cables, PCI slots, and even drives, and it continues to give me problems.

I'm guessing that it's finally on it's way out, and would like some recommendations on what I should get as replacement. I've seen some posts on the forums about IBM ServerRAID M1015 cards being pretty good in FreeNAS. However, these are kind of old cards, and I'm wondering if there's something newer out there now. I'm not opposed to spending a little money, but I don't want something that's going to cost $1000 either. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Stick with a used 1015, it does exactly what you need it to do and is well supported by FreeNAS. Just make sure the firmware is updated to IT mode and matches the driver in the FreeNAS version you are on. P16 for 9.3 or lower and P20 for 9.3.1.

Kelly Shutt

Dabbler
Thanks for the quick answer.

Another question... I don't have a back plane in my server, because it's in a tower. Will the M1015 function without SGPIO connected, and only SATA connected? Maybe a silly question, but I've never had to deal with these cards outside of rack mount units.

You do not need a backplane to use a card that has SAS connections, you can purchase these http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-SAS-to...ble-19-Inch-/151643015691?hash=item234ea0ca0b that will turn your M1015 SAS connection into 4 SATA connections each

I have 4 M1015's and they have all functioned flawlessly and even if theyre older cards, it doesnt mean they cant serve there function. I have plenty of second hand servers and hardware and have never had an issue.

Kelly Shutt

Dabbler
Awesome... Off to ebay now. Thanks again for the info. And yes, I will be sure to flash the card when I get it.

Awesome... Off to ebay now. Thanks again for the info. And yes, I will be sure to flash the card when I get it.
this is the guide i followed http://www.servethehome.com/ibm-serveraid-m1015-part-4/ , if youre doing a fresh install of 9.3.1 crossflash the M1015 to P20 firmware, if youre sticking with 9.3 or below crossflash it to P16. I personally would crossflash it to P20 and do a update to 9.3.1, this way you dont have to rip the M1015 out, get the SAS address, and flash it then

Also, if you follow that guide, replace the P16 with P20 firmware if youre going the P20 route

Kelly Shutt

Dabbler
Yeah, I'm pretty good about keeping my server up to date, so I'm going to go the P20 route. I do have a Windows box available and it seems like just doing SAS2FLASH there might be a little easier. Obviously, I'll still follow the guide to make sure I'm flashing things properly.

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast

brando56894

Wizard
I can definitely agree with these guys, grab one off of Ebay for $100 and you won't be disappointed. I was using three different SATA controllers on my Asrock C2750D4I (1x Intel, 2x Marvell) and I was hitting around 80-100 MB/sec with my RAIDZ pool, I switched over to a M1015 with my 4 Mirrored Pairs and during a scrub I'm hitting about 285 MB/sec, obviously not getting that much via ethernet since I only have 1 Gbps ports available. using 2 breakout cables also helps reduce the clutter of needing multiple separate SATA cables.

Mr_N

Patron
or the M1115 model if you can find one of those cheaper, its same as M1015 just a bit newer.

Last edited:

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
or the M1115 model if you can find one of those cheaper, its same was M1015 just a bit newer.
Not newer, just more features that will be flashed away. They end up being the same in IT mode.

Mr_N

Patron
I meant newer in terms of the timeline of their manufacture and release :) Either way one may be cheaper or easier to acquire than the other :)

Status
Not open for further replies.