Low-Profile SATA Expansion Recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.

ss4johnny

Explorer
I have one 4 port SYBAUSA SATA PCI express expansion card installed in my machine. Unfortunately in the low profile chassis, two of the ports are effectively un-usable. So, I thought I'd be clever and just get two more 2 port cards (SI-PEX40075). One to cover the blocked one and one for future expansion. I didn't pay enough attention to the hardware recommendations and can't seem to get these working with FreeNAS. So I'm curious if anyone has any suggestions on low-profile SATA expansion cards.

I saw the recommendation in the sticky'ed thread about the IBM ServeRAID card, but I am thinking that I don't need something that heavy duty.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I saw the recommendation in the sticky'ed thread about the IBM ServeRAID card, but I am thinking that I don't need something that heavy duty.

You do, if you want something reliable. Unfortunately, no SATA PCI-e controller is worth its title.

ss4johnny

Explorer
Hmm, okay. I guess I'll get one then...

I had looked at the manual for that before posting this thread. I was confused by Section 2.4.1 in the manual where it describes how to connect the drive to the board. It looks like the cable has a power component. However, my chassis has a backplane that handles the power connections. Does that matter?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Hmm, okay. I guess I'll get one then...

I had looked at the manual for that before posting this thread. I was confused by Section 2.4.1 in the manual where it describes how to connect the drive to the board. It looks like the cable has a power component. However, my chassis has a backplane that handles the power connections. Does that matter?

Power? No. There are cables with data and power on a single monolithic connector instead of two small ones, but that's just one possibility. Assuming your backplane takes single SATA connections, just get an SFF-8087 breakout cable (or two, depending on your needs.

Also, pay attention to the positioning of the SFF -8087 connectors on the card - common varieties are on the edge opposite the motherboard (M1015, for instance) and on the edge opposite the chassis back panel (LSI SAS 9211, for instance).

marbus90

Guru
If your low profile chassis wouldn't work with the M1015, look into LSI 9211-8i, AOC-S2308L-L8e, LSI 9207-8i.

If you have a 12bay chassis, you might also look into swapping the mobo for a X10SL7-F or comparable with a SAS 6Gbps controller onboard.

Further questions about SAS are answered in the SAS Primer.

ss4johnny

Explorer
I've got enough SATA drives at this point that it would be pretty expensive to replace them with SAS.

ss4johnny

Explorer
Okay. I see that now.

A separate question: is there anything preventing you from mixing SAS and SATA drives in a ZFS pool?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Okay. I see that now.

A separate question: is there anything preventing you from mixing SAS and SATA drives in a ZFS pool?
No specific concerns, but wildly different drives in a pool may lead to unusual situations that may make you go "huh?". Probably harmless, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.