Low Profile LSI M1015 - Mini SAS to SATA - 2U Chassis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soljia

Dabbler
I'm sure the title is sufficient, however, I will explain. I have a 2U chassis, and a Low Profile LSI M1015. I bought 2 mini sas 90 host to sata cables, however, the 90 doesn't fit over the notch in the card. I've tried looking up online with anyone in the same situation, and I found a few unresolved threads. Is there any cable out there that would work? I see that there are Reverse 90 mini sas to mini sas cables, but not a breakout one. Any ideas, or am I doomed to get a different card or larger chassis? I guess I could swap the backplane, if even possible..

Thanks!

Link - This is my case.
http://www.supermicro.com/products/chassis/2U/822/SC822T-400LP.cfm

Last edited:

danb35

Hall of Famer
I also bought 90 degree SAS breakout cables, and they didn't fit. I ended up with regular straight connectors, and they work fine.

Soljia

Dabbler
Can a straight make a semi-sharp 90(aka around the card in between the card and chassis lid)? I tried looking up bend radius. I'm assuming it can.

I also bought 90 degree SAS breakout cables, and they didn't fit. I ended up with regular straight connectors, and they work fine.

Soljia

Dabbler
Can you let me know what cable you are using? I'm thinking of using monoprice, but I know some cables are more flexible than others. Thanks again.

Z300M

Guru
Can you let me know what cable you are using? I'm thinking of using monoprice, but I know some cables are more flexible than others. Thanks again.
When using the Monoprice cables with which I started I kept getting errors, so I replaced them with cables (unknown brand) that I think came from SuperBiiz. However, I did disconnect and reconnect all the power connectors at the same time, so I can't be sure that the Monoprice cables were the problem.

danb35

Hall of Famer
I bought these cables from Amazon.

Z300M

Guru

jgreco

Resident Grinch
The M1015 is a poor choice in a 2U chassis. We've been using the Dell card, which is trickier to flash but is inexpensive. You can also use the retail LSI HBA. Both the Dell and LSI cards do not have the vertical space issue that the M1015 does.

Soljia

Dabbler
Ya, figured that out the hard way. If this doesn't pan out I'll just put the card up for sale and flash it to whatever version someone wants. Do you have a preference between the Dell card or LSI HBA?

The M1015 is a poor choice in a 2U chassis. We've been using the Dell card, which is trickier to flash but is inexpensive. You can also use the retail LSI HBA. Both the Dell and LSI cards do not have the vertical space issue that the M1015 does.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
If money's not a big thing, the LSI card is easily flashed and has a well-engineered feel to it. The Dell feels ... Dellish? But at half the cost, ...

Status
Not open for further replies.