SOLVED sas2flash need help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chrismal

Dabbler
Hi friends.
I got a LSI 9210 sas and it is getting impossible to flash to IT mode using dos as I keep getting PAL error, I tried using the efi but also my asrock board does not let me do that, now I ssh into freenas and I used the sas2flash there and it listed the card fine, now the only thing I would like to know is how do I get the firmware and rom files into freenas to flash the card with? is there any guide how to use flash it in freenas? as freenas is my last hope

Thank you

Chris

Depends what sharing mechanisms you have enabled on FreeNAS. FTP? CIFS? NFS? Use one of those to copy the files to the FreeNAS.

Chrismal

Dabbler
Depends what sharing mechanisms you have enabled on FreeNAS. FTP? CIFS? NFS? Use one of those to copy the files to the FreeNAS.

Thank you for your reply.
I am using cifs, So do I just put the files on the zpool and sas2flash would just read them ? or do I have to put them in a specific location?

thank you very much

I am using cifs, So do I just put the files on the zpool and sas2flash would just read them ?

Yes, that should be it. I would put the ROM files in the same directory as sas2flash. It isn't required, but it will likely make the navigation easier. You are welcome.

danb35

Hall of Famer
I would put the ROM files in the same directory as sas2flash.
Why? sas2flash is somewhere in $PATH (specifically, at /usr/local/sbin/sas2flash), and there's no reason at all that the firmware files should be going there. However, if they're on the pool, there may be a problem as the pool's going to drop while the controller's flashed. Better to put them in /root/ (which is on the boot pool, not the main data pool). Safer yet (though I'll admit I've flashed my controller at least twice without doing this) to detach the pool while flashing the controller.

Why? sas2flash is somewhere in $PATH (specifically, at /usr/local/sbin/sas2flash)

I didn't realize that sas2flash was part of the regular distribution. I suggested putting the files in the same directory based on the (apparently flawed) assumption that sas2flash had been loaded after the fact. It was also based on an inference that the orignal poster wasn't a CLI geek. :smile:

Chrismal

Dabbler
Thank you both you were such a great help. I will try flashing again tomorrow and see how it goes, will post back.

Thank you so much

Chrismal

Dabbler
Guys I put the files .bin and rom into the pool, so after running this command (sas2flash -c 0 -f 2108it.bin)I get this error

ERROR: Could not open file: 2108it.bin:
Syntax Error see Command Usage below:

-f x: Flash firmware image
x = the firmware file to flash

Guys I put the files .bin and rom into the pool, so after running this command (sas2flash -c 0 -f 2108it.bin)I get this error

Where are the files? You need to be in the same directory as the the ROM files when you run that command. If you aren't sure, you can run this command to find it.
Code:
find / -type f -name 2108it.bin -print

Once you know where it is, "cd /mnt/some/sub/directory" (where find located the file) and then re-try the sas2flash command.

Chrismal

Dabbler
ahh thanks again. Sorry for asking again but now I am getting this, any ideas please

Adapter Selected is a LSI SAS: SAS2008(B2)

Executing Operation: Flash Firmware Image

Firmware Image has a Valid Checksum.
Firmware Version 09.00.00.00
Firmware Image compatible with Controller.

Valid NVDATA Image found.
NVDATA Version 09.00.00.00
Checking for a compatible NVData image...

NVDATA Device ID and Chip Revision match verified.
ERROR: Cannot downgrade NVDATA version 0x14010007 to 0x9000001.

ERROR: Failed to get valid NVDATA image from File!

Firmware Image Validation Failed!

Due to error remaining commands will not be executed.
Unable to Process Commands.
Exiting SAS2Flash.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
It is advising you that firmware version 14 is already in the card and you are trying to install version 9. It isn't letting you downgrade the firmware because of an invalid checksum.
If I recall correctly, that card should be able to take firmware version 20.00.07.00, but I could be mistaken.
There is some possibility that downgrading is required to switch from IR firmware to IT firmware, but you might have the wrong version. Have you looked at the guide on the FreeNAS forum?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Chrismal

Dabbler
It is advising you that firmware version 14 is already in the card and you are trying to install version 9. It isn't letting you downgrade the firmware because of an invalid checksum.
If I recall correctly, that card should be able to take firmware version 21.00.07.00, but I could be mistaken.
There is some possibility that downgrading is required to switch from IR firmware to IT firmware, but you might have the wrong version. Have you looked at the guide on the FreeNAS forum?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

This is the version I downloaded 20.00.00.00.

Thanks for your help but I give up :) never thought it involved such headaches. Is there a way I can donate this card to freenas or someone here? I rather get a different board or buying a pre flashed card

Chrismal

Dabbler
What's the output of sas2flash -listall?

Thanks for the reply.
Code:
root@freenas:/ # sas2flash -listall
LSI Corporation SAS2 Flash Utility
Version 16.00.00.00 (2013.03.01)
Copyright (c) 2008-2013 LSI Corporation. All rights reserved

Adapter Selected is a LSI SAS: SAS2008(B2)

Num   Ctlr			FW Ver		NVDATA		x86-BIOS		 PCI Addr
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

0  SAS2008(B2)	 20.00.07.00	14.01.00.07	07.39.02.00	 00:02:00:00

Finished Processing Commands Successfully.
		Exiting SAS2Flash.

Chrismal

Dabbler
Here is a shot

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    553.8 KB · Views: 508

danb35

Hall of Famer
Ah, I'd missed that. No, if it says IR on boot, it's probably in IR mode. This isn't a critical problem--if you don't set up anything in the BIOS and just use FreeNAS to manage your disks, you should be fine. However, it is better practice to have it in IT mode.

How you've done it I don't know, but you do appear to have downloaded a much older firmware than you intended to. This link should be the most current package.

Chrismal

Dabbler
Ah, I'd missed that. No, if it says IR on boot, it's probably in IR mode. This isn't a critical problem--if you don't set up anything in the BIOS and just use FreeNAS to manage your disks, you should be fine. However, it is better practice to have it in IT mode.

How you've done it I don't know, but you do appear to have downloaded a much older firmware than you intended to. This link should be the most current package.
I attached the zpool drives to it and freenas read them fine threw the sas, so I think I can leave as is. what do you think dude?

Status
Not open for further replies.