SAS to SATA breakout cable length and angled connectors

Status
Not open for further replies.

zenith1

Cadet
Hi there,

I have ordered a Dell H310 controller card with connectors placed at the end of the circuit board. Then next step is to buy a breakout cable of appropriate length. Most of the cheap cables are essentially the same, blue ones with straight SATA connectors. The most common length is 50cm (1.6'), but some cables I found are 1m (3.3'). My case is midi ATX case (Antec Solo) with the disk bays placed in the bottom, straight over from the controller.

A typical 0.5m cable with straight connectors:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-SAS-4...in-Splitter-Adapter-Cable-0-5M-Y/263356017855

A longer one, 1m with angled connectors:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-SAS-S...plitter-90-Degrees-Cable-Blue-1M/201478697672

Would you recommend the longer cables, in general? A 1m cable seems quite long. A bit unsure if I should go with angled connectors or not, now that the cable will just pass through to the other side of the case. Right now I got angled connectors, since I am using the ports on the motherboard.

Nick2253

Wizard
I recommend the shortest cable you can get away with (factoring in any needed service loops). Obviously, you don't want your cables stretched tight, but you want to avoid many extra loops of cable if you can.

Only you can tell if you need angle connectors. Usually, angle connectors are needed if the drive backs up right to the edge of the case, and a straight connector would require a tight cable bend to clear the side. Otherwise, angle connectors might be desirable for improved cable management.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Don't harpstring your cables. Generally, it's a good idea to see if you can do some cable management to make sure nothing's flopping around. SAS breakouts are available at lengths of approximately 10cm increments between 0.4-1m, and going a little shorter than 1m is best if you can, since the SATA limit is 1m, and it isn't good to ride the edge of a spec if you don't have to.

zenith1

Cadet
Ah, excellent. Thanks for the good replies. I will try to find a couple of cables below 1m with straight connectors, since I am pretty sure a long stretch is not needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.