BUILD SAS HBA

Status
Not open for further replies.

andyiam

Dabbler
I did a search but didn't find anything recent.

I'm looking for a 12g SAS HBA and I've found the LSI 9300 8i and the Adaptec 1000 8i.

Are either of these better than the other, or are there better recommendations? I have an 8 bay NAS enclosure and trying to find a decent SAS HBA

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
9300 is probably more supported. Any reason you need sas3 and not sas2?

andyiam

Dabbler
It's going into a UNAS enclosure, which has a backplane that I'll need to get breakout cables for.

The reason for SAS3 was I intend to replace my SATA drives with nearline SAS3 (looking at Seagate Constellation) drives within the next year, but that's an entirely different thread.

Do you have any recommendations? I just need something with 2 SFF ports that I can depend on.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
There's no reason that you need SAS 12Gbps. The hard drives are a long way from approaching even 3Gbps speeds. You'd be fine with a 9211-8i or clone.

andyiam

Dabbler
Thanks for the reply! Going with the 9211 will save quite a bit of money.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Oh, and that's an excellent point as well. Also it makes sense to remember that your NAS will be limited by the ethernets it has. There's no need for 96Gbps of SAS connectivity if you only have 2Gbps of ethernet on the box.

andyiam

Dabbler
True. I only wish that 10gb ethernet wasn't rediculously expensive. I'm pretty sure I'll be able to saturate the on 1gb link in the closet where this guy resides.

This isn't a new build exactly, I'm transplanting the array into a new case with new mobo, cpu, and ram. I went as cheap as possible (mistake that has haunted me) back in 2012 with an integrated amd cpu/mobo and 8 gigs of ram. I don't think it ever ran below 50% utilization. Now it's going to have an i3 6100 and 16GB ECC upgradable to 32 if the need arises.

What I'm really excited for is my new workstation :D e5 2670 w/ 32GB EEC RDIMMs

jgreco

Resident Grinch
It's always pleasant when someone learns from their mistakes. You'll enjoy your new machine, I'm pretty sure. ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.