Expanding SATA connections with SAS HBA for FreeNAS

Pajani

Cadet
I recently built a FreeNAS from an old computer, and I want to buy some new hdd to set up either a RAIDZ or RAIDZ2, but I realised I only have 2 empty SATA ports to use. So now I'm looking into expanding my SATA connections in the computer and found you need some sort of SAS HBA. I know some SAS HBA offer RAID compatibility which will need to crossedflashed if it's meant to be used solely as an HBA.

I read that the LSI 9211-8I or LSI 9240-8I could be used, but can't find any reasonably priced near me as I live in sweden. So I'm looking into more local options, but I'm unsure as to what difference in prices will offer in realiability or non-needed RAID abilities. I found this: https://nextron.se/main.php3?PI=info&PNO=29225 . Will this be good enough? or will I have to spend more, OR wait until I travel to the US, this summer to get an LSI 92xx-8I

EDIT: While further researching, all SAS HBA cards I have found uses PCIe x8 lanes and I don't think I have this on my motherboard, does that mean adding more SATA connections won't work at all?

I'm using:

Z97-A ASUS motherboard.
Intel i5-4690k

If the motherboard I'm using won't work, what's a good, compatible motherboard that would work well for running FreeNAS?

Last edited:

nikalai2

Dabbler
Hello,

You can find Dell H200 / H310 at good prices on ebay (use "European Union filter). You must flash the IT mode firmware for Freenas.

Pajani

Cadet
Okay, just an extra question. Are there any reliability issues with any legitimately produced SAS HBA? Or is it the specific models Dell H200 / H310, LSI 92XX, Fujitsu D2607 or whatever I find specifically recommended to look out for?

Last edited: