Sanity Check for my new FreeNAS Mini (Regards SLOG)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sasayaki

Explorer
Hey all,

I'm about to pull the trigger on my new FreeNAS Mini, so I just want to check that, for my use case, it's a good system that will get decent speeds, be reliable, and generally be awesome. After some thought, I'm debating using the FreeNAS Mini as an ESXi datastore as well. Accordingly, to protect my data, I will make sure that the NFS shares are synchronous; to ensure adequate performance, I was going to include an SLOG (Intel 313 20GB SSD).

The ESXi host will also include some Seagate drives for local storage and backups, but its primary datastore will be on the FreeNAS host.

My understanding, based on research on the forums and judicious application of the search function, is the following:

- As a PCIe device, I can just attach this SSD to the FreeNAS Mini's spare slot.
- SLOG will not help with asynchronous writes, such as CIFS, or NFS shares set to asynch mode. Therefore, for SAMBA shares and Windows shares, it won't help at all. Although the Mini should be able to saturate Gigabit ethernet in that configuration anyway.
- With the SSD I mentioned above, on a FreeNAS Mini with 4x4gb WD Red drives in a RaidZ configuration, without an SLOG I will probably get 2-5mb a second. With the SLOG, I should be getting about 80mb/s through the GigE connection.
- Because my FreeNAS Mini will have 32gb of RAM, I should allocate no more than 4gb of the SSD to SLOG (8% of my system RAM). The rest will be L2ARC.

My conclusion is that the SLOG will greatly increase synchronous write performance. Read performance should be unaffected (or slightly boosted due to the L2ARC increase), largely because except for heavy use situations, it will be capped by the GigE connection.

This was going to be an after-purchase enhancement, if I do decide to make the FreeNAS box an ESXi host, that'll come later. It's optional. I just want to make sure that I've researched everything correctly and that my data is protected, but fast.

Sasayaki

Explorer
Oh, another question. Because I'm running the latest FreeNAS, a failure of the SLOG (such as me pulling it out in a rage over the latest Game of Thrones episode) should have no effect on the pool. Therefore, it doesn't require mirroring. Right?

Sasayaki

Explorer
Oops, it looks like this is mSata. My bad. The Mini won't support this, will it? Does anyone have an alternative suggestion?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
There is no msata that I know of on that motherboard. You *really* need to stop and go back to the drawing board. Here's the big mistakes I saw just reading your initial post.

1. Using the same device for an SLOG and an L2ARC is a recipe for disaster. The SLOG will stay just busy enough that your L2ARC will never fill.
2. 32GB of RAM isn't enough to efficiently handle an SLOG or L2ARC. My personal thumbrule based on all of the users that try to use one or both and see performance drop is to not consider it until you hit 64GB minimum for RAM.
3. If you plan to go with ESXi datastore, RAIDZ is a bad idea. You want mirrors, and lots of them. ie... more than 4 vdevs, which means 8 disks... aka the Mini is too small for you.

ESXi for VMs is one of the "worst case scenarios" for ZFS. As soon as you start talking about doing ESXi you are instantly saying "I want to spend alot of money to make ZFS still perform adequately".

Overall I think your choice of using the Mini is going to be a disappointment. If your VMs aren't taxed significantly and stay idle without large I/O it might be doable. But, if you underestimate the loading and the Mini can't handle it the cost of going with something else is.... expensive.

Sasayaki

Explorer
Hmm. I might just use local storage then, on the ESXi box. I'll use the NFS share just for reading ISOs and other such things where the sync write issue won't be a problem.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
You could definitely use the Mini as backup storage for your ESXi box. Enable compression and you have a formidable backup location. Even with gzip9(the most aggressive compression routine) you can still get pretty respectable throughput for backups.

Status
Not open for further replies.