Samba Shares

Status
Not open for further replies.

Al Slitter

Explorer
I had a problem where I would not be able to find my shares on a Windows 7 machine. If I rebooted the workstation some times they would appear other times not. If I then rebooted my server (FreeNas 9.10) they might appear. I decided to try and get this fixed however now nothing is working. I followed a link for setting up
a simple test share which I did and it would not work. By that I mean CIFS would not start!
I have spent hours trying to get some shares working but nothing has proved successfully so I am coming here for help.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Have you tried connecting via IP-address? Type "\\ip-address" in File Explorer? This sounds like a name resolution problem rather than a permissions problem. The bad news is that NetBIOS name resolution has always been a bit finicky. In addition to its normal frustrations, the NetBIOS song-and-dance routine can take a while to finish after computers are booted (so you might just have to wait a while). I personally don't bother with it and just either (1) use ip-addresses or (2) configure DNS for my local network.

Al Slitter

Explorer
Thank you for the reply.
I have spent many more hours on this issue trying to get my shares working. Mapping to the IP address of the FreeNas
server does not work.
The issue goes back to CIFS and its inability to load/run.
I am at a complete loss now as to what has happened.
I think I will delete all of the users, groups, windows shares etc. and try from scratch.
I have followed many of the instructions provided on the internet but to no avail.

Maybe FreeNas is two complicated for me and my mind?

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Thank you for the reply.
I have spent many more hours on this issue trying to get my shares working. Mapping to the IP address of the FreeNas
server does not work.
I am at a complete loss now as to what has happened.
I think I will delete all of the users, groups, windows shares etc. and try from scratch.
I have followed many of the instructions provided on the internet but to no avail.

Maybe FreeNas is two complicated for me and my mind?

At its core, windows file sharing on all NAS devices is provided by samba, but it's possible that you'll have an easier time with a different UI. If you don't mind, post a debug .tar file. You can generate one by clicking 'system' 'advanced' 'save debug'.

Al Slitter

Explorer
Thank you again for the reply!
Here is the debug.tar file from my NAS server:

Attachments

• debug-freenas-20160629091453.tgz
    1,000.1 KB · Views: 233

Al Slitter

Explorer
Is there anyone else who might be able to assist me, it has been several days now since I last received some
input from Anodos. I have a working system but cannot communicate with the server, what do I need to do????

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
try running 'testparm' from the command line. In /var/log/messages it tells you to do this.

It also looks like you have not configured your users on the freenas side. Make sure all users including your guest user are setup.
[2016/06/29 06:56:11.989265, 0] ../source3/auth/auth_util.c:822(make_new_session_info_guest)
make_server_info_info3 failed with NT_STATUS_NO_SUCH_USER
[2016/06/29 06:56:11.989302, 0] ../source3/smbd/server.c:1519(main)
ERROR: failed to setup guest info.

Mirfster

Doesn't know what he's talking about
Are you saying that the CIFS Service in FreeNAS is not starting?

Have you reviewed/seen any of these:

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Okay. A couple of quick points:
  • You've set "server min protocol" to "Lanman" and "server max protocol" to Lanman2". I don't think any modern CIFS client will connect to the server with this configuration. "server min protocol" should be blank or SMB1. "server max protocol" should be SMB3 or SMB3_00.
  • You have "null passwords = yes". This is not how you set up guest authentication and may have unexpected results. (I can't remember off the top of my head if this is a default in FreeNAS. If it is, it shouldn't be).

Last edited:

Al Slitter

Explorer
Hello, I ran testparm and these are the results:
[root@freenas ~]# testparm
Load smb config files from /usr/local/etc/smb4.conf
rlimit_max: increasing rlimit_max (1024) to minimum Windows limit (16384)
WARNING: The "null passwords" option is deprecated
Processing section "[BackUp]"
Processing section "[Movies]"
Processing section "[homes]"
Loaded services file OK.
Server role: ROLE_STANDALONE

zfsacl:acesort = dontcare
nfs4:chown = true
nfs4:acedup = merge
nfs4:mode = special
shadow:snapdirseverywhere = yes
shadow:format = auto-%Y%m%d.%H%M-1m
shadow:localtime = yes
shadow:sort = desc
shadow:snapdir = .zfs/snapshot

[homes]
comment = Home Directories
path = /mnt/RAID-Z1/WindowsShare/%U
valid users = %U
read only = No
guest ok = Yes
veto files = /.snapshot/.windows/.mac/.zfs/
vfs objects = zfs_space zfsacl aio_pthread streams_xattr
zfsacl:acesort = dontcare
nfs4:chown = true
nfs4:acedup = merge
nfs4:mode = special

Al Slitter

Explorer
Okay. A couple of quick points:
  • You've set "server min protocol" to "Lanman" and "server max protocol" to Lanman2". I don't think any modern CIFS client will connect to the server with this configuration. "server min protocol" should be blank or SMB1. "server max protocol" should be SMB3 or SMB3_00.
  • You have "null passwords = yes". This is not how you set up guest authentication and may have unexpected results. (I can't remember off the top of my head if this is a default in FreeNAS. If it is, it shouldn't be).
You are correct the system was set to Lanman I have changed that to nothing (-----) as SMB1 is not an option and then changed Lanman2 to SMB3.

Regarding Null Passwords= Yes, I am not sure when this option is at could you please provide details.

Thank you!

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
I think under the cifs settings there is an option for 'allow empty password' that should be unchecked. You must have checked it when you thought you where setting up guest access.

Al Slitter

Explorer
Hello All, I now have the shares working I think I know where I went wrong but will need to review it a little bit later.

What I did:
I removed all of my users
I removed all of my Groups
I removed my shares

After doing this I followed the video tutorial (FreeNAS and Samba (CIFS) permissions (Video)) step by step and when complete
my CIFS shares worked in FreeNas. I was then able to map inside of Windows a path to the CIFS Windows shared directories.
I hope this makes sense!

The one thing that is different from several days ago is within windows I used to see my FreeNas server showing as a network resource
but now I have to use the IP address for the shares.

But as they say all is well that ends well!

Thank you everyone for all of you help in getting me back on track! :>}

Al Slitter

Explorer
I think under the cifs settings there is an option for 'allow empty password' that should be unchecked. You must have checked it when you thought you where setting up guest access.
You are probably right, I suspect that there where several areas that ended up wrong as I was desperate to try and get this working.
As a result was using a shot gun approach.

Thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.