Sanity check on Samba configuration: FAILED

Status
Not open for further replies.

raymondcidad

Dabbler
Hi guys!

My samba CIFS service is not starting from web.

I'm getting a
Code:
smbd not running? (check /var/run/samba/smbd.pid).
nmbd not running? (check /var/run/samba/nmbd.pid).
Performing sanity check on Samba configuration: FAILED

I've rebooted, l've deleted all the shares, and sometimes, creating or deleting shares, the system stop and start smb, but it is still shown as off in the service list.

It all started when I delete a volume to change it from UFS to ZFS, and I forgot to delete the shares that the volume was using. I now delete all the shares to try to clean the configs files. But nothing.

1. HOW can I be sure there is no record of those old shares on the configuration files? what file can I check?

2. Should I try to deattach and re-attach that volume? without formating?

3. Is there a way to backup the config file but delete everything that was related to that shares and volume?

Also, as past of the log I get a
Code:
smbd not running? (check /var/run/samba/smbd.pid).

but there is no such file. Is that normal?
the only file in that folder is secrets.tdb

thanks a lot!.

struggling!

rc

warmnoise

Cadet
I've been in this situation before on a machine that has been through many upgrades. Eventually the CIFS server encountered these issues around 8.2.0. You'll want to check your smb.conf. In some cases this file can be corrected by the utility.

Code:
testparm /usr/local/etc/smb.conf

Another common config error that you might encounter from a default install would be the NetBIOS name matching the WORKGROUP name. Make sure these are unique.

cra1g321

Dabbler
Code:
testparm /usr/local/etc/smb.conf

Thanks for this command. I ran into the same error and ran that command and it told me that the workgroup name and netbios name cannot be the same, which they were. (freenas - FREENAS) :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.