FREENAS visible on Workgroup then not visible after reinstall

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tiretz

Cadet
Hi All,

The first time I installed FreeNAS 8.0, I had trouble getting the machine to appear on my windows network. I entered the workgroup and netbiosname (both in uppercase), added the users with appropriate permissions etc but the machine wouldn't appear in my workgroup. I enabled CIFS etc.

However, I could get to the shares and transfer files by entering the ip address into file explorer ( \\10.1.1.114\share). The permissions worked as expected.

Later, I was changing a few settings and it suddenly appeared in the workgroup ( I think I was chagning the network from reservered DHCP to an ip address). It worked for a few days without any problems.

Anyway, all was well until I decided to reinstall the FREENAS machine with an extra drive added.

Now I am back to not being able to see the machine on my work group. I have changed most of the settings including network trying to recreate the conditions for it to appear. Before making changes I have been turning CIFS off. I have rebooted many times. I can still copy files using the ip address for the pass though.

I am running Windows 7 and nothing has changed on my main machine.

I will wait a couple of hours to see if it appears.

Other than that I am impressed with the transfer speeds. I have got a couple of errors when copying files back where Terracopy says a files DirTimeStamp is invalid. Not sure what that means or if it is a problem.

regards

Justin.

Tiretz

Cadet
The freenas appeared in my workgroup after I changed the network interface from DHCP to static (no change of address as it was previously reserved in the dhcp server). I had done this before so I am not sure why it worked this time.

Before this happened, I had checked the /usr/local/etc/smb.conf and it looked fine. I was about to post a question about the conf file!

top -a showed the two /usr/local/sbin/smbd processes and that they being controlled ok by the web ui. The smb.conf was being changed as expected when I made changes in the UI..

When I changed to static IP, another process appeared ( at least I hadn't seen it before) it was /usr/local/sbin/nmbd -D -s /usr/local/etc/smb.conf

Now my freenas is appearing in the workgroup.

I dont know what had changed, but I am happy now!.

Justin.

jimmypooh

Dabbler
I'm currently having the same problem of not being able to see the FreeNAS server in my networks. I am however able to see if I go to the correct location via explorer. My network is named WORKGROUP for both the NAS box and the computer. I'm not sure what you mean by changing network interface from DHCP to static. Do you think that's my problem? Can you elaborate on the network interface change?

TIA!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.