SABRENT NICs

jwong858

Dabbler
Hi,

Does Truenas Scale support the following NICs?

SABRENT USB Type-A or Type-C to 5-Gigabit Ethernet Adapter [10/100/1000/2500/5000 Mbps] (NT-SS5G)​

SABRENT Thunderbolt 3 to 10 Gbps RJ-45 Ethernet Adapter (TH-S3EA)​

Truenas sees the 5G adapter, but only works at 1Gb/s. Truenas doesn't see the 10G adapter at all. There is a driver from Sabrent, but if I install it manually then this driver will disappear on the next Truenas update. Is it possible to include this driver into Truenas build out?

Thanks,

James

danb35

Hall of Famer
USB network interfaces have never been recommended, and it's highly unlikely they ever will be. Thunderbolt is a less-crappy interface, but why can't you install a recommended NIC (emphasis on the C for Card) in your server?

jwong858

Dabbler
The built-in NIC is only 2.5Gb and my PCIe x16 slots are being taken by the GPUs. I have only one PCIe x1 left and I'm struggling to find a 10G PCIe NIC with X1. If you happen to know any, please let me know?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
GPUs plural?

SABRENT Thunderbolt 3 to 10 Gbps RJ-45 Ethernet Adapter (TH-S3EA)
Truenas doesn't see the 10G adapter at all.
Do you have a Thunderbolt port? Because you can't magically use Thunderbolt devices on non-Thunderbolt hosts (unless the device can itself fall back to regular USB 3.x, but that's a very recent thing mostly introduced with Thunderbolt 4, which many Thunderbolt 4 docks now do but your NIC does not).
The built-in NIC is only 2.5Gb and my PCIe x16 slots are being taken by the GPUs. I have only one PCIe x1 left and I'm struggling to find a 10G PCIe NIC with X1. If you happen to know any, please let me know?
I'm struggling to find a 10G PCIe NIC with X1
That's because PCIe 3.0 provides 1 GB/s per lane, otherwise known as 8 Gb/s, which is less than 10 Gb/s. Since nobody in their right mind is likely to invest in a new 10GbE design, the market is thoroughly saturated with PCIe 2.0 and 3.0 10GbE NICs and will remain so (25GbE will likely see a similar PCIe 3.0/4.0 landscape). That means a single lane cannot support a single port of 10GbE, much less the two that are typically provided.

This is the sort of reason why it's best to pick appropriate hardware rather than yeeting a pile of random components into a corner and calling it a server. Fortunately for you, the cryptominer crowd, besides being a drain on society, has created a robust market for all sorts of weird and wonderful PCIe extender cables (illustrative example, not an endorsement). Something like this would allow you to relocate the card to a different chassis position from the physical slot, so that you don't even have to get into the metalworking of some other solutions. You won't get 10 Gb/s, but you'd get something substantially faster than 1 Gb/s.