Running a UFS storage drive in Freenas 8.3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jake10

Cadet
I am currently using an older machine running Freenas 8.3 and my 2 TB drive is using a UFS file system. The machine has been acting up badily and I'm afraid it will die soon. So my question is, can I take the 2 TB drive out of the Freenas system and place it into a Win7 64 system in order to backup all the data on it? If so, do I need to change the filesystem to NTFS at some point? Thanks.

D

dlavigne

So my question is, can I take the 2 TB drive out of the Freenas system and place it into a Win7 64 system in order to backup all the data on it?

Nope.

If so, do I need to change the filesystem to NTFS at some point? Thanks.

Changing the filesystem will nuke the contents of the disk.

Your best bet is to either copy over the network while you can or try mounting an external media to copy to it.

m0nkey_

MVP
I am currently using an older machine running Freenas 8.3 and my 2 TB drive is using a UFS file system. The machine has been acting up badily and I'm afraid it will die soon. So my question is, can I take the 2 TB drive out of the Freenas system and place it into a Win7 64 system in order to backup all the data on it? If so, do I need to change the filesystem to NTFS at some point? Thanks.
Once you have your new FreeNAS box running, you can do a import of data from the drive to your new pool. Details on this can be found in the doc: http://doc.freenas.org/9.3/freenas_storage.html#import-disk

Mirfster

Doesn't know what he's talking about
Does this mean you have a single 2TB drive that has all your data?... Might want to think about getting that data copied as suggested by others.

Status
Not open for further replies.