Run SCALE vm from iscsi zvol on TNC.

hescominsoon

Patron
I have a SCALE install. I want to run a vm off the Truenas server i have in the same rack. Can i get scale to connect to an iscsi drive I am presenting from Truenas? Right now I am not seeing how to do this.

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
I don't think iSCSI client is in the current SCALE software..

hescominsoon

Patron
is it planned?

hescominsoon

Patron
that's odd considering the base distro has one IIRC.

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
that's odd considering the base distro has one IIRC.
Its more the stitching together iSCSI client with middleware.... yes it is on the list of future capabilities. Please suggest it as a feature if you would like to see it tracked and voted on.

hescominsoon

Patron

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
It is on the list of things to do, but its part of a larger and more complex project which includes integration of VMs with Kubernetes and CSI drivers.

In the short term, I'd recommend using local storage on the SCALE host, and then setting up regular ZFS snapshots and replication to TrueNAS. Use NFS (or SMB) from the VM for any bulk storage needs.

hescominsoon

Patron
i ahve tried replicating from the scale mahcine to TNC and it errors out. Looks like i will have to wait for SCALE to mature a bit more..:)

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
i ahve tried replicating from the scale mahcine to TNC and it errors out. Looks like i will have to wait for SCALE to mature a bit more..:)
That's worth reporting as a bug..... the UI for replication needs work, but the replication process should work as long as its TrueNAS 12.0.

12.0-U1.1 had a replication fix: https://jira.ixsystems.com/browse/NAS-107636

hescominsoon

Patron
My intention is to run vm's from scale via iscsi from the TNC. TNC would then replicate to the SCALE machine as a backup target..:)

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
My intention is to run vm's from scale via iscsi from the TNC. TNC would then replicate to the SCALE machine as a backup target..:)
As indicated, that is part of a longer term project. Shorter term would be run VMs on local storage in SCALE and replicate to TNC as backup target.

hescominsoon

Patron
As indicated, that is part of a longer term project. Shorter term would be run VMs on local storage in SCALE and replicate to TNC as backup target.
and i read that..and stated my long term goals. once scale has the iscsi client then i'll start to use it in my testing environment....:) I waited 4 years for TNC to have the ability to send pre-encrypted backups offsite....i can wait for Scale to come around to my particular use case..if it doesn't i'll ahve somehting else in place..not a knock on scale..:)

Last edited:

headwhacker

Dabbler
I'm thinking of doing similar setup for my homelab. TNC as the primary storage, SCALE running VMs off the iSCSI targets shared on TNC. Then TNC replicates data to SCALE for backup. Of course, when SCALE is mature enough, I would like to try a 2 node cluster of SCALE. Anyway I voted for interest in the Jira opened by @hescominsoon.

Anyone has any idea of any workaround for the meantime? I'm thinking of manually installing open-iscsi package. But if everything must go to the middleware to make it work with SCALE not sure it this idea is feasible.