Rsyncd help

senadman

Cadet
I have Bluefin running and currently have rsync module copying active pool drives to backup pool drives on the local machine.

I have rsyncd app installed and tried to replicate this prior to rsync becoming deprecated, but couldn't get it to work as the settings look are different to the rsync. Was wondering if someone could help or point me in the right direction

samarium

Contributor
Right direction with rsyncd deprecated is rsync over one of the ssh variants.

Make sure to generate ssh keys. If you generate off server, import the keys onto the server.
Distribute the ssh keys per the many guides and your toplology/requirements.
Make sure to generate ssh connection using the ssh keys already generated
Lastly setup replication using a ssh connection.

Might need to vary how things are setup depending on whether you are pulling or pushing data.

If you don't understand ssh and keys, setup a couple of linux virtual machines and experiment.

senadman

Cadet
Thankyou, im pulling data internally on the same localhost, why would I need ssh to do that?

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
If you're just using rsync to move data internally, you won't be using modules, so should not be impacted by the change, just keep doing what you were doing.

samarium

Contributor
If you are just using rsync /path/1/ /path/2/ then no change.
If you are using rsync with :: in the command, then you are using rsync using modules, and if the rsync module server is using the to deprecated and to be removed truenas rsync module server, then you will be impacted.

Rsyncd is the rsync module server, but you seem to want to use it inside an app. Haven't used it in many years, and certainly not inside an app, they weren't even around last time I used rsyncd. Seems like you would need to check the documentation for the app, and also account for any extra complexity from running in in the TN environment app environment if the app documentation doesn't address that directly.

Which doesn't help you much at all, sorry.

Last edited:

senadman

Cadet
Well I think I may be impacted, I am using rsync via truenas gui and that only has ssh or module option available and I am using a module. Its a shame that there isn't a local option to do things just like this through the gui and if there is I don't know about it.

samarium

Contributor
Well I think I may be impacted, I am using rsync via truenas gui and that only has ssh or module option available and I am using a module. Its a shame that there isn't a local option to do things just like this through the gui and if there is I don't know about it.
I agree is is a shame rsync replication won't allow you to rsync local to local, which is what I wanted to automate configuration backups.
If this is important to you I suggest you raise a JIRA ticket so iX knows.
I just created a cron job to do the rsync locally, not as pretty, but it works, and if you have email alerting setup you can get notifications if it produces any output.

Last edited:

sretalla