RSYNCD between FreeNAS & Mac OSX

Status
Not open for further replies.

MenacingM

Dabbler
Hi all,

After a ton of trial and error, trying to figure this out, I've decided to seek some advice from the community. The method I'm using is using the secrets file password as I'm transferring between two local boxes on my private network.

So, I was able to get rsyncd working on my Mac by following the instructions found here.

I configured a rsyncd module called media in the FreeNAS GUI and specified a secrets file by in Auxiliary parameters:

--password-file=/PATH/TO/rsyncd.secrets

I made sure on both systems that secrets files ownership was root:wheel and permissions were 600 so that nothing outside of root had access to the file.

I had problems getting rsync working both ways but, after a lot of trial and error and more reading that I'd like to admit, I figured it out.

From the Mac, I tested the module configuration on the FreeNAS using the following command:

rsync -rtv root@freenas.local::media /PATH/TO/MAC/Media/

After the password prompt, I got a file list and sync. Thumbs up, it works from the Mac to FreeNAS.

Now, I issued the following command from the FreeNAS shell:

rsync -rtv root@MACOSX.local::media /PATH/TO/FREENAS/Media/

This didn't work for some time, but after tweaking permissions, rsyncd.conf, secret files, and launched plist files, it worked!

Now, I think I have rsyncd setup properly on both the Mac and FreeNAS boxes to operate as both client and server.

However, when I setup the RSYNC tasks on the FreeNAS to PUSH and PULL using the media module (that was configured on both the Mac and FreeNAS) on an interval with the same auxiliary option for the password file I used in the rsyncd module setup, I get auth errors. :-\

Oct 20 00:40:00 freenas rsync: @ERROR: auth failed on module media
Oct 20 00:40:00 freenas rsync: rsync error: error starting client-server protocol (code 5) at main.c(1517) [Receiver=3.0.9]
Oct 20 00:45:00 freenas rsync: @ERROR: auth failed on module media
Oct 20 00:45:00 freenas rsync: rsync error: error starting client-server protocol (code 5) at main.c(1517) [sender=3.0.9]

Not sure why this isn't working if the command is working manually. Any help is appreciated as it's late here and I'm going cross-eyed.

-MenacingM

MenacingM

Dabbler
I kind of abandoned it... I'll approach it again soonish... This time probably with certs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pfonseca

Dabbler
Hi,

You have to be sure that rsync module, media in your configuration, is configured to be accessed by the same user you use to invoke it

MenacingM

Dabbler
Thanks PFonSECA, truth be told when I couldn't get it to work, I diverted to trying with the root account to eliminate any potential user/permission issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.