Rsync?

Status
Not open for further replies.

eli.bamf

Cadet
Does anyone know when/if Rsync is going to come into the picture with FreeNAS? I am just starting out with 8 and was really hoping to try out rsync with it.

Thanks,

~Eli

B

Bohs Hansen

Since 8.0.1beta1 you can create rsync tasks via the GUI (beta3 is the newest since today). I haven't used it myself yet, so don't know how good it works. But it's there now.

Milhouse

Guru
It can only push data from the FreeNAS box to a remote server (not possible to "pull" data on to the FreeNAS box), and it has no support for passwords so it only works with remote servers that aren't using any authentication (tested with 8.0.1-BETA3).

So in a nutshell, rsync works only one way (50/50 chance it being the way you want it to work) and it will only work if your network has zero security (so it's hardly ready for the enterprise or even a moderately well set up home network).

eli.bamf

Cadet
I am running the 8.0 release i386 right now, how do I go about upgrading? Like I said this is my first FreeNAS build ever that i'm using and I have used Linux for a long time and can just use yum update. So if you could guide me on how to upgrade or point me in the right direction that would be awesome.

Milhouse

Guru
I am running the 8.0 release i386 right now, how do I go about upgrading? Like I said this is my first FreeNAS build ever that i'm using and I have used Linux for a long time and can just use yum update. So if you could guide me on how to upgrade or point me in the right direction that would be awesome.

BETA3 announcement thread is here. You can't upgrade as such, with BETA3 you need to reinstall from scratch (as the size of the partitions has had to increase). Take a full backup beforehand (just in case it all goes horribly wrong), and also download your current config which you can reapply to BETA3 once it is up an running (worked OK for me).

eli.bamf

Cadet
Thanks, I will give that a try as soon as I can

In theory though the software RAID that I have setup already should be able to be imported again with all my data? - Yes I will run a backup of everything before I pull the trigger on this but I just wanted to make sure that what I'm thinking of SHOULD be do-able.

eli.bamf

Cadet
perfect, well we'll see how all this plays out soon, thanks for the quick suggestions.. sorry I couldn't be quicker with my responses I am juggling this and work.

Thanks for all the suggestions, I'm hoping to get FreeNAS under my belt

Status
Not open for further replies.