rsync Replication of multiple NAS to one backup

Status
Not open for further replies.

peridian

Dabbler
Hi,

I have two NAS boxes, one with 4TB, the other with 8TB. I then have a single backup NAS with 12TB (naturally, available storage space is less).

In order to backup the first two to the third, I'm pretty sure I need to use rsync to replicate/snapshot the NAS to the backup.

Does this work if I am backing up both NAS to the same backup? Does replication perform this literally from the root up? I.e. I need a 4/8TB NAS for each of the originals for backup purposes.

Regards,
Rob.

peridian

Dabbler
All of the NAS boxes are in a RAID0 stripe, and are running FreeNAS 9.3 STABLE (Jan 2015).

Backup NAS

CPU: Intel G3220 3.0GHz
M/B: Asus H87I-Plus
RAM: 16Gb
HDD: 4x Western Digital Green SATA3 3TB

NAS1
CPU: Intel G3220 3.0GHz
M/B: Asus H87I-Plus
HDD: 4x Western Digital Green SATA2 1TB

NAS2
CPU: Intel i5 4670 3.4GHz
M/B: Asus H97I-Plus
HDD: 4x Hitachi Deskstar SATA2 2TB

Network - All gigabit ethernet - pfSense router to 2 GS108T switches. Each NAS on separate VLANs on the switches, with firewall allowing data ports between them.

Let me know if you require anything else?

Regards,
Rob.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
In this situation I believe ZFS replication is your best option. See documentation here: http://doc.freenas.org/9.3/freenas_storage.html#replication-tasks

That being said, I hope this setup is just in a home lab /testing environment. Your configuration lacks the ability to fix data corruption (you typically need RAIDZ or mirrors to do this), and non-ECC RAM poses it's own risks. See stickies for reference.

Last edited:

peridian

Dabbler
Yes, this is at home, I chose to do without RAIDZ to increase storage capacity, on the grounds that I would be replicating the data between two devices anyway, and all truly critical data (~500GB) gets backed up onto a 1TB USB drive about once a month anyway as a tertiary backup.

I am aware of the arguments for ECC RAM and generally agree with them, but the systems that support it tend to cost more and/or take up more space than these boxes do. For home purposes, these will do. I have been using non-ECC RAM in systems that have lasted for donkey's years without RAM failures, and the whole purpose of having a backup strategy is to help prevent data loss.

Thanks for the link, that helps a lot.

Regards,
Rob.

Status
Not open for further replies.