rsync not working on TrueNAS core 12 - works on FreeNAS-11.3-U5

mudflap

Cadet
Long time user of freenas here. First time having to post for information.
Can not seem to get rsync to work on TrueNAS core 12. This is from any *nix box to TrueNAS using rsync named module.
I have 2 FreeNAS-11.3-U5 machines running fine. I set up a new FreeNAS-11.3-U5. Confirmed everything hardware wise worked. Set everything up like the other 2 boxes. I then did the upgrade to TrueNAS core. I tried to use rsync from Ubuntu 18.04, Linux Mint, and FreeBSD 12. I get the same error of:
Code:
rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (0 bytes received so far) [sender] rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(235) [sender=3.1.2]

I triple checked all settings were the same between FreeNAS and TrueNAS.
I reinstalled from scratch FreeNAS-11.3-U5 onto it and rsync works fine. Is this a bug I need to file or did something change that I am unaware of?
rsync command that works on FreeNAS and not on TrueNAS:
Code:
rsync -az --no-g --no-perms --omit-dir-times -O --exclude-from '/home/XXXX/rsync_excludeme.txt' / nas003.XXXXXX.XXX::vhost004

Machine in question (even though I dodn't think it matters)
Dell r720
H310 mini (IT mode)
7 SAS drives in raidz2

Spearfoot

He of the long foot
I've had success with rsync modules on TrueNAS 12.0, using the explicit rsync: syntax with a user specifier, like this (for module 'systems' on TrueNAS 12.0 server 'BACON'):
Code:
rsync ${R_OPTIONS} ${R_EXCLUDE} ${R_SRC} rsync://root@bacon/systems

See my 'scripts for using rsync' GitHub repository for examples and details:

djb

Explorer
i'm trying to Rsync over SSH from Truenas to Synology.
can i run the command from Truenas shell ? i got an error command not found.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Depending on your environment you might have to use /usr/local/bin/rsync.

djb

Explorer
/usr/local/bin/rsync.

thanks for your tip. i'm in truenas shell doing:

$ rsync --rsync-path=/usr/local/bin/rsync -avzx /rsync_test truenazz@192.168.3.119:/volume1/NetBackup/truenascube

and

$ rsync --rsync-path=/usr/bin/rsync -avzx /rsync_test truenazz@192.168.3.119:/volume1/NetBackup/truenascube

both cases giving command not found.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
--rsync-path is for the path to the rsync binary on the remote system. Probably your Synology. Try not to specify that at all, first. And replace the initial rsync with /usr/local/bin/rsync as I said.

djb

Explorer
--rsync-path is for the path to the rsync binary on the remote system. Probably your Synology. Try not to specify that at all, first. And replace the initial rsync with /usr/local/bin/rsync as I said.

i have followed your suggestion as below:

$ /usr/local/bin/rsync -avzx /rsync_test truenazz@192.168.3.119:/volume1/NetBackup/truenascube

$ /usr/bin/rsync -avzx /rsync_test truenazz@192.168.3.119:/volume1/NetBackup/truenascube

same error.

1630754699355.png

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Why are you typing a $ at the beginning of that command line? The shell is complaining that it cannot find the "$" command - which is perfectly correct. :wink:

Reactions: djb

djb

Explorer
Why are you typing a $ at the beginning of that command line? The shell is complaining that it cannot find the "$" command - which is perfectly correct. :wink:

That's great.. coming from windows i start liking those things a lot.
this command works for me:

rsync -avzx /mnt/MirrorPool/rsync_test truenazz@192.168.3.119:/volume1/NetBackup

is there any way to automate it with cron ? if i run manually through shell, it ask for a password and then is executing.

Spearfoot

He of the long foot
That's great.. coming from windows i start liking those things a lot.
this command works for me:

rsync -avzx /mnt/MirrorPool/rsync_test truenazz@192.168.3.119:/volume1/NetBackup

is there any way to automate it with cron ? if i run manually through shell, it ask for a password and then is executing.
To avoid having to enter a password, you will need to set up SSH key authentication for the truenazz user account on your Synology. Here is a pretty good tutorial:

I have a GitHub repository with some rsync scripts that you may find useful: