Rsync makes TrueNAS use all available memory for "services" | Rsync is very slow

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
You could use a SATA-to-USB3 adapter and connect the drives one at a time to your desktop, after which you could drag and drop from the external drive to the network share. They're pretty inexpensive.

There's one more thing to try on the TrueNAS server: Under System->Advanced, enable autotune and reboot. This sets several memory tunables that may prevent the RAM consumption you've seen during the disk imports. It's worth a shot.

The_Saver

Dabbler
You could use a SATA-to-USB3 adapter and connect the drives one at a time to your desktop, after which you could drag and drop from the external drive to the network share. They're pretty inexpensive.

There's one more thing to try on the TrueNAS server: Under System->Advanced, enable autotune and reboot. This sets several memory tunables that may prevent the RAM consumption you've seen during the disk imports. It's worth a shot.
I have enabled it:
1658646523474.png

But unfortunately I still experience the same behaviour where all my RAM gets used by Services. Should I disable Autotune?

My other computer only has 1000 Mbps LAN interface to the server.

Is there a way where I can use a locally mounted disk on the server and set up SMB share on that drive and then move the files from there to my pool?

Can I reserve X amount of GB RAM to be used exclusively by ZFS Cache?

When I installed TrueNAS on my 512 GB NVMe SSD it asked me if I would like to create a 16 GB swap. I selected yes. Would it be worth a try to remove/disable swap? (I don't know how)

Last edited:

The_Saver

Dabbler
I made a pool containing a stripe VDEV 2x10TB HDD.
When I move files from and to that pool to my other pool with a RAIDZ2 6x10TB HDD VDEV I can max out at up to 500 MB/s read and write. Typically 400 MB/s. And that is with SMB. My RAM Services usage is kept at under 4 GB RAM and my ZFS Cache takes the rest of my 32 GB RAM.

Is there a way that I can plug in an NTFS-formatted disk and create a pool based on just that single disk while keeping all the data on it?

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
I don’t think so, but I’ve never tried. To the best of my knowledge, the Windows sharing screen won’t let you choose a path outside a pool to share.

The_Saver

Dabbler
I have fixed my issue. See this thread for information on how:

Thank you to everyone who tried to help!

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
I don’t think so, but I’ve never tried. To the best of my knowledge, the Windows sharing screen won’t let you choose a path outside a pool to share.
At various times I've expanded validation for SMB share configuration (because of users doing things like mounting an ext4 filesystem in a zpool and then trying to share it out -- then filing bug reports about it). Currently, we statfs / statvfs the path and verify that it's ZFS otherwise we raise a validation error and prevent share creation.