Eric Batte

Dabbler
My remote path is "/Volumes/Shares/Shared Folders/Archive"

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
My remote path is "/Volumes/Shares/Shared Folders/Archive"
What I would expect to work is:
'/Volumes/Shares/Shared\ Folders/Archive'
However, I suggest debugging at the command-line until you find the correct syntax, then transferring to the task settings.

Is the source a folder shared from somewhere else? Can you back it up directly from the host instead?

Back to basics:
  • the client is on and connected
  • you've enabled remote login on the client (that's Mac-speak for SSH)
  • you've checked that you can SSH to the client from the FreeNAS command-line without being prompted for a password
  • you've sanity-checked rsync with a different path that doesn't have a space

Eric Batte

Dabbler
I just had a thought. Instead of cobbling all of this together like I've been trying (and failing) to do, could I just install owncloud and have it sync everything back to freenas? Owncloud has its own versioning built in, but I could also combine it with freenas snapshots for a backup solution.

Thoughts on this?

Spearfoot

He of the long foot
@Eric Batte : There are some problems with rsync on FreeNAS when using the '-p' option ('Preserve Permissions'), which means your use (as described upthread) of the '-a' option could be causing you problems ('-a' implies the '-p' option). I filed a bug report about this some time ago, and found a work-around, described here:

https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...rmissions-support-for-windows-datasets.43973/

May I ask which version of FreeNAS you are using? Because there was an AFP bug in the latter version of 9.3-STABLE that broker ATM support, but which has been fixed in 9.10-STABLE. A simple upgrade might allow you to return to using Apple Time Machine for backing up your Apple machines.

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
could I just install owncloud and have it sync everything back to freenas?
I don't think "sync everything" is a good plan. Syncing a working set of data works well, but that's not a substitute for backup.

Status
Not open for further replies.