Rsync from Readynas duo to Freenas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sput

Dabbler
Im trying to rsync a readynas duo to my freenas box. As I was using the duo as the push Ive been posting on readynas site, but have not been able to get the system working, its been suggested that I post here incase im making a mistake with my freenas

I wish to rsync my 2tb (1tb of data) on the readynas to a freenas box.

Ive just built the freenas box its got 4 1tb hdds in a raidz2 2*2tb and 2gb ram. I know its a little low on the ram, but I wanted to get everything working and in a month or so upgrade the ram.

On freenas I have a share called data, and in there there is a folder called backups and then a folder called readynas

on the readynas I have made a backup job of one share for a test attached are two screenshots.

With the readynas in the backup job there is a test connection button, I press this and I get a message saying connected with freenas

Can anyone shed some light on why this isn't working for me?

Thanks

Attachments

• Full page photo.pdf
    73.3 KB · Views: 416

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Wow.. and I just posted to a guys thread a few minutes ago explaining to him that using less than the minimum recommended is dangerous. He's lost about 4 months worth of family pictures.

Good luck to you!

Sput

Dabbler
Well that's not a problem, as I have my PC with my data on, which is fully backed up to the readynas, im simply making a backup of that backup.

If I can get that all working properly then I will add the ram. I don't think the ram could be casuing the jobs not work in the first place, they might run slower...

cyberjock

Inactive Account
If I can get that all working properly then I will add the ram. I don't think the ram could be casuing the jobs not work in the first place, they might run slower...

Actually, you might be very wrong with that assessment. The problem is when you get starved for RAM many services don't work properly and sometimes get killed off and have to be restarted. So that assumption is very wrong. The whole reason we recommend 8GB of RAM is to prevent those kinds of problems. The systems often become very unstable and do very outlandish things with less.

I put this in the manual because I got tired of people ignoring it, and I was dead serious about it too:

If you don't have at least 8GB of RAM with ZFS or 2GB of RAM with UFS, you should consider getting more powerful hardware before using FreeNAS® to store your data. Otherwise, data loss may result.

I didn't put that in there as a joke, and I didn't put that in there to keep RAM manufacturers in business. I put it in there so people would have a system that reliably performs as expected, even if it is potentially "jump off the nearest bridge" slow.

I do get a good laugh out of the fact that you ignore what I write in the manual, but come here expecting me(as well as others) to help you. So either you trust me to give you good info, or you don't. But you can't ignore what I write in the manual, then trust me to help you later.

You do realize if its a low RAM condition we could spend days and days trying to help you only to find out if you had just put in the amount of RAM I recommended in the beginning you'd saved people alot of time. That is also precisely why I don't work too hard to help people that don't meet the system requirements unless its VERY obvious what they did wrong.

So like I said. Good luck to you sir!

Sput

Dabbler
Well, what a friendly welcome to a forum, its nice to feel welcome

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I could have not posted at all and left you to deal with the situation on your own.

While I won't get any awards for politeness, I'll definitely give you the straight answer, for better or for worse.

There's 6 admins(all unpaid volunteers), and we see people just like you every single day. They aren't familiar with ZFS or FreeNAS, take shortcuts like you did, and then post here. If we helped those people on a one-on-one basis we'd never be able to maintain the forums. So we have to pick and choose how much support we provide. If you have stuff that I know should work and doesn't, I'll bend over backwards to help you. Yes, I've spent hours on Teamviewer trying to help people on the other side of the world. But, if you don't meet the minimum system specs, I don't put forth much effort as the server owner didn't put in much effort.

Now when someone wants to pay me to fix their stuff, its a bit different. But as one of just a handful of unpaid volunteer helping out, you can't expect miracles from us.

Sput

Dabbler
I wasn't expecting any miracles, simple politeness would have been nice, any way I shall let you get on with barking at others who upset you. Thankyou for your time.

Dusan

Guru
Can anyone shed some light on why this isn't working for me?
It seems ReadyNAS is using the rsync module mode (as it mentions rsync server in the screenshot). Therefore you need to first configure an rsync module in FreeNAS (http://doc.freenas.org/index.php/Rsync). You should also check the ReadyNAS documentation on how to properly setup the rsync module destination.

Knowltey

Patron
First thing first, 2GB is absolutely below any semblenace of minimum requirements for FreeNAS. It's not enough to even run half of the base OS, much less any additional space used by other features and the filesystem. Absolute absolute bare minimum is 4, but even then you're playing Russian Roulette with your data. If you don't have 8GB do **NOT** trust that computer with any data with any semblance of importance.

warri

Guru
First thing first, 2GB is absolutely below any semblenace of minimum requirements for FreeNAS. It's not enough to even run half of the base OS, much less any additional space used by other features and the filesystem. Absolute absolute bare minimum is 4, but even then you're playing Russian Roulette with your data. If you don't have 8GB do **NOT** trust that computer with any data with any semblance of importance.

I think this has been made clear by cyberjock. Contrary to your post 2 GB is fine, if you just use UFS - the Base OS (here: FreeBSD) itself is well suited for low RAM configurations.
I know the OP uses ZFS, but don't generalize too much ;)

Sput

Dabbler
I have today installed 8GB ram on the system, hopefully this should help the rsync out. I shall keep you posted.

Regards

rm-r

Contributor
Hi Sput,

how did you go?

While I won't get any awards for politeness, I'll definitely give you the straight answer, for better or for worse.

This is very true, at first I'll be honest cyberjocks tone was a surprise to me - but as I have seen more of his posts now, he is very knowledgeable and helpful, if short :)

Sput

Dabbler
Evening all,

Firstly, sorry for the lack of posting, working in a school and have just started back with staff and kids has been manic!

The good news, I have successfully Rsynced 7MB of data. I had made a share called Data and a folder called Backups
In the Rsync job I put the path to sync to as data\backups\ and it generated a second folder with the lower case backups and both the folders had the same adata in.
I deleted one of the folders and both went.

I am setting a job to run tonight to copy 500gb approx. of data across. I shall see how that goes with regards to firstly running time, I expect it will take a little while, and also if I get the two folders/copies of the data.

I shall post back soon

Regards
Sput

Status
Not open for further replies.