ReadyNAS rsync to FreeNAS Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grunbay

Cadet
I have a ReadyNAS running RAIDiator 4.2.27 (the latest version) that is attached to my home network. I have installed the latest firmware updates to the NAS. My home network has no directory service enabled; all users are local.

I have built a FreeNAS box to run as a backup for the data on the ReadyNAS. I plan to use Rsync as the backup software. My FreeNAS box has 8GB of RAM. I am running FreeNAS version “9.3-STABLE-201502060108.”

My problem is that I cannot get the two boxes to communicate. I have read the user guides for both systems. Unfortunately, not being a sophisticated networking type, I am repeatedly stumped by the differences in nomenclature between the ReadyNAS guides and the FreeNAS guides. They have subtle, but crucial differences in the way that they describe the functions of these two systems and how they work with Rsync. One of my major confusions is that the two guides refer to Rsync “server” and “client” in opposite ways, so, as a novice user, It’s very confusing. The two guides also seem to use the term “module” in different ways.

I am ambivalent as to whether the Source (ReadyNAS) pushes data to the Destination (FreeNAS), or the Destination pulls data from the Source. I would like to have the Destination wake up weekly and backup my Source, so I was thinking of Push configuration with wake-up-on-LAN enabled on FreeNAS – if that’s available.

Let me set the stage in terms of what I have done so far:

ReadyNAS (Source)
1. IP addr: 192.168.1.144
2. I have a test share, “Backup2” set up, with some data in it,
3. I have checked the Rsync box under Services>Standard File Protocols,
4. I have checked the rsync icon under Shares>Share Listing for Backup2,
5. Under rsync options for Backup2, I have set the default access to Read-only,
6. Also under Rsync options, I have entered the IP address of the FreeNAS under “Hosts allowed access – no password or SSH options are activated

FreeNAS (Destination)
1. IP addr: 192.168.1.145
2. I have a Volume named MirrorPool
3. I have a UNIX share named ReadyNASBackup
4. For services, I have CIFS, NFS, Rsync, and S.M.A.R.T.
5. I have an Rsync Module (I really don’t understand these) named Backup2TestModule with
a. Path: /mnt/MirrorPool/ReadyNASBackup
b. Access mode: Read & Write
c. User: Grunbay
d. Group: Grunbay
e. Hosts allow: 192.168.1.144

Rather than tell you the thousands (OK, that’s hyperbole) of combinations that I have tried of path names, user names, etc and their related error messages, I thought some kind, and knowledgeable soul out there may be able to help set me in the right direction. Let me know if you need additional information. I plan to post this in both the ReadyNAS and FreeNAS forums as I don’t even know which side of the equation is out of balance!

Thanks in advance.

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
Does the ReadyNAS have settings that equate to "send stuff to a destination via rsync"? If so, I would consider simplifying the problem by setting up the FreeNAS end as nothing more than a suitable user with ownership of a suitable dataset and SSH access enabled. Forget about rsync tasks, services and modules. You can test the FreeNAS end by issuing rsync commands at the CLI of any *nix distro. Even an Ubuntu live CD should work.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
In all honesty, it sounds to me much more like this is a ReadyNAS problem than a FreeNAS problem. Do they not have a support forum? It sounds like you're doing the right thing with the FreeNAS side.

Grunbay

Cadet
Well, DrKK was right - my problem was on the ReadyNAS end. The excellent moderators on that site walked me through it and it seems to be up and running!

Thanks, folks.

Status
Not open for further replies.